Bend and Break

_ _ _

_ _ _

When the time comes that someone finds their new found purpose in life, it's a great feeling. For Tesla it's even greater. She cannot remember a time where she ever woke up feeling so good. With so many possibilities for her future all just feet away from her, she's ready to Travel at any given second.

The moment that she remembers today is her last day in Slovakia for a while makes her frown deeply.

Tesla makes her way to the tiny kitchen, knowing that Bruce and Nick will already be awake. Those two are always up before her. She can smell the coffee before she even hears the two men in the kitchen.

"There she is," says Nick Curie. He raises the coffee mug to her. "Good morning, Tesla."

Tesla gives him a small smile in return. The thought of leaving clouds her mood. How can it be a good morning when she'll be leaving soon?

"Why are you upset?" asks Bruce, seeing right through her. She isn't exactly putting on a fake smile, but she is disappointed that she has to go in less than twelve hours.

"We already have to go back to Massachusetts." Tesla sits down at the table with a sigh. "There's so much more to do. Those Seers are still out there," she states. "This is my — my duty. I'm a Traveler, I can't just forget about this."

Nick smiles again. "Well, of course you won't forget about this. Do you think moving to New York stopped your father?"

"No, but what did you do? Move the Sculpture? Can it be moved?"

Nick laughs. "No, it cannot be moved. There are things to do outside of Traveling."

"And you still have to graduate," Bruce points out. He looks upset at the thought of Tesla not coming back to Harvard with him.

"Well, yes, a steady income is always appreciated," agrees Nick. "You should finish at the university and get your Ph.Ds."

"So I have to get my degree, and then I can Travel?" she questions, raising a careful eyebrow at Nick. She folds her arms in her seat, thinking over the plan.

Nick shrugs. "I suppose."

"And did my dad do this?" she wonders.

"Things were different then, but yes. How do you think he met your mother? It certainly wasn't being cooped up in the lab all day with me." Nick frowns, sounding a little bitter.

Tesla sighs, remembering something that the Seers told her last night about her father. She asks, "How did my father die?"

Nick furrows his eyebrows together. "What? Tesla, why are you asking about that?"

"When I confronted the Seers, they told me if I didn't stand down then I would die a painful death like he did. My mother said he died in a lab accident in New York."