A Short Story, By Nick

_ _ _

_ _ _

Tesla grew up watching movies like Back to the Future, Star Trek, and The Terminator. The one thing they all had in common was time travel, and of course a hero to save the day and destroy the time machine so it didn't ruin everything that ever existed. Tesla never ever thought she'd fall under the same category as Marty McFly.

"I'm going to send you back to the day Bruce was taken. December 2nd, 1992. From there you just have to fix things."

Tesla scowls to herself as she recalls Nick Curie's message to her right before she stepped onto the platform. The Sculpture opened up, revealing a brilliant, bright green energy core that when Tesla asked what it was, Nick truly didn't have the answer to. "It's something so old and so powerful, we're lucky it doesn't kill us all."

She remembers replying, "Who says it wont?"

Now, she stands right in the middle of the place where moments later Bruce would be kidnapped. She watches as Bruce tells her about his uneasy feelings, and she turns looking for Bruce. He's already in the hands of the Watchers.

"No," she gasps, her eyes wide.

The Watchers stare at Tesla for a long moment. Curie steps forward, the same expression on his face as the one he wore the first time Bruce was taken. "You have no right being here."

Tesla moves toward her friend, a bit more determined than she was last time. The Watcher to her right tries to shoot Tesla with his weapon. She ducks down and the Watchers disappear with Bruce. Tesla huffs to herself, "Damn it." She taps the wristband with her thumb and holds it down for seven seconds.

Tesla trips when her left foot lands on the edge of the platform in the laboratory. She regains her balance, glancing over at Dr. Curie, who smiles at her from behind the computer system. He closes the compartment again.

"That was quick," he replies.

With a pinch of annoyance at Nick's comment, Tesla glares at him. "I can't...I need to know the rules. There have to be some rules to this."

"There are," Nick Curie admits, stepping around the counter to stand in front of Tesla. "But sometimes it takes a few tries to truly know what you're up against."

Frustration seeps through Tesla now. She's sick of the vague answers he's giving her. She wants her friend back. She wants to understand what being a Traveler is, and how it actually works. "What's your point, Curie? What are you trying to prove, here? I'm not—I need more practice."

Nick gestures to the Sculpture, which is open again, the ball of green energy swirling around in its metal enclosure. "Then practice."

Tesla huffs again, shooting him a look. "You're not a good mentor." She reaches a hand out to the orb and her fingers brush against it. She feels the pressure of hot and cold energy colliding with her body. It's like when a star forms and all that energy seems to get trapped somewhere outside of space and time for a split second before it finds its place.