Ready for Take-Off

_ _ _

In the Edison house, Kimberly leans against the door frame of Tesla's bedroom. Her arms are folded over her chest. "You're leaving again," she states. She watches as Tesla grabs her bag from her room. Tesla nods, heading down the hallway with her bag over her shoulder. Kimberly turns her head, following Tesla with her eyes. "For how long?"

"I'm not sure. A while."

"Hitler again?" jokes Kimberly.

Tesla glances at her best friend over her shoulder. "Let's call it that, yeah."

Recognizing the humorless tone of Tesla's voice, Kimberly falters for a moment, stopping in the hallway. Tesla moves into the kitchen, and Kimberly hurries in after her, a bit panicked. "Tessie, you can't possibly be going on another trip. How are you paying for this?"

"I'm not," she explains, giving her friend a smile.

"Last time you went to Slovakia you came back changed."

Tesla nods, grabbing her ID, Passport, and wallet off the kitchen table. She puts them all in her bag, then turns to her best friend, knowing that if she doesn't give her some attention she'll start to worry more. Tesla places her hands on Kim's shoulders, staring her straight in the eye. "I'll be fine this time. I know it. I wasn't sure what to expect last time—"

"With Hitler?"

Hoping that Tesla's smile will ease Kimberly's anxiety about the trip, she smiles brightly and rolls her eyes slightly. "Yes, exactly."

"But you're going alone."

A frown appears on Tesla's face for a brief moment at the mention of her doing this trop on her own. "It's better this way. Bruce doesn't really want to talk to me unless he has to, and Stephen is too busy making things up to avoid me." Tesla shrugs, pain flashing in her eyes. She doesn't hide it though, knowing Kimberly will already see it. "What can I do? I thought I could have one or the other, but I ended up hurting all three of us. And Betty..." Tesla frowns, lowering her head. She removes her hands from Kimberly's arms, turning to grab her things again. "Time to go."

Grabbing Tesla's carry-on bag, Kimberly exhales deeply. "You should talk to them before you go...at least one of them."

"I won't have time, Kimmy."

Kimberly doesn't say anything, just gives her a disappointed look. Tesla narrows her eyes. "Fine. I'll go see Stephen at the restaurant, but if I'm late—" she warns.

Kimberly smiles, handing Tesla her bag. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Go on. I'll be waiting for the story afterward."

Today at The Nook, Stephen is working. Tesla knows this before she walks in. He changed his availability so that the two of them wouldn't work together after the kiss. He didn't ever say this to her, but Tesla knows him too well. Their co-worker Lacy gives Tesla a small smile when she passes by. It isn't too busy, and Stephen is at the bar. He doesn't notice the new person that has come into the building.

Setting her bags on the seat next to her, Tesla sits down at the bar with a sigh. Stephen wipes down the spot in front of her and places a drink coaster. He hasn't looked at her yet. "What can I get you?" he wonders.

"I'll take water. I have a long flight ahead of me."

Stephen finally stares at her. He sighs, but doesn't show any other expressions on his face. He turns away to get her the water.

"Aren't you gonna ask me where I'm going?" she questions. "Might get a good tip outta me if you're friendly," she teases, trying to get him to shoot a quip back at her. He doesn't bite, just passes her the glass of water. Tesla holds the glass in her hand. "Stephen."