The Future

_ _ _

_ _ _

Never in her life has Tesla ever been more comfortable than this exact moment. She adjusts the sleeve of her jumpsuit over the wristband with a tiny smile. The date on the watch flashes against the light above her and she tilts her head. This is the first task, going to May 11th. This date is the start of something big. Tesla can feel it radiating through her; the way her body and jumpsuit buzz with the idea of fulfilling this mission. Her mind is focused and sharp. Never in her lifetime has she ever felt this kind of clear-headedness about a task. She can finally breathe freely, and it's because everything she ever wished for is in this very room with her.

Tesla takes one look around the laboratory. Nick is ducked behind the computer monitor, working on the alignment for the Travel before she disappears in between space and time. Bruce is standing by the black countertop, studying the file Albert Edison had created years ago about this first mission for Tesla. She grins to herself.

"Quit grinning like a fool and focus, Tesla. It's time to go," Nick barks over the monitor. He straightens himself up.

She smooths over the jumpsuit fabric and asks, "What do I have to do?"

"This is just a test run. I'll send you to the future."

Tesla's eyes widen, and she stares at Nick. Bruce looks up from the file in his hands. He frowns, as if he didn't hear Nick correctly the first time. "Pardon?"

Nick repeats, a little slower this time, as if the two of them are too dull to understand, "She'll be sent to the future."

"Why?" she questions. "The future?"

"You'll see." Nick winks. "Ready?"

"Almost. Can I get a name, though?"

Nick smiles once. He shakes his head, as if Tesla is too young to understand yet. "You won't need one, Tesla."

"I thought we were going to go back to Anthony Stark?" she questions, glancing over at Bruce. The college student's face has turned to worry. His frown deepens. "That's what we've been looking over," Tesla points out.

The college students have slowly learned that being blunt with Nick Curie will provide them with answers more often than not. "Why?" questions Bruce.

"Well, that's the whole point, isn't it? To ask why? To get answers."

Nick starts the Sculpture, which begins to glow. The mass of green energy pulses, calling to Tesla. Bruce's worried expression makes her go a little uneasy. Tesla moves to the counter, placing a firm hand on the blacktop. "Come on, Nick. Don't be all mysterious again. Not this time. Answers are okay to give away."

"I can't give them to you until you see." Dr. Nick Curie gives Tesla a pointed look. His eyes move over to the Sculpture, ready and waiting for Tesla to Travel.