The Boxes

_ _ _

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

_ _ _

"Mom," Tesla greets, sighing heavily when she sees her beautiful mother sitting up in the hospital bed working on a crossword puzzle. Stephen waits by the doorway, feeling like he should wait to be welcomed inside.

Elsa gives her daughter a surprised look, setting her crossword on the table. "What are you doing here?"

"You told the hospital to call me." Tesla sets her bag on the floor, pulling a chair to her mother. She's still in her work clothes, and she smells like hamburgers, but she doesn't mind much.

Elsa clicks her tongue together angrily. "So you would know what happened. Not so you would come running over. You were with friends, liebling." Elsa Edison frowns deeply, taking her daughter's hand gently. "You should be having fun."

Tesla shakes her head. "Not when you're here."

Elsa smiles. "I know I've said this before, but you're so much like your father." She wipes a strand of hair from Tesla's head, it falls in with the messy of dark hair on her head. "Who brought you here?"

"Stephen."

Elsa nods once, pursing her lips. Stephen quietly walks into the room, leaning against the door frame. "How do you feel, Mrs. Edison?"

"I'm doing just dandy." Elsa watches Stephen closely. "I suppose you know when I get to leave?"

"They said they'd have your release papers ready tomorrow morning. Just want to keep you overnight for observation," he answers. Stephen turns to Tesla, tilting his head. He has his hands in his pockets. "I'll take you home whenever, Tesla."

Tesla nods. "Thank you, Stevie," she mumbles. She bows her head tiredly as Elsa picks up her crossword puzzle to work on.

"Well, go ahead, Stephen. Sit and stay a while," says Elsa Edison, monotone.

The long night at the hospital turned into an even longer night at the Edison home after Stephen dropped her off. "I could stay," he had offered, speaking quietly in the dead of the night. The light from his headlights casted a glow on the front porch.

Tesla gulped. "I—you shouldn't. It's really sweet of you, Stephen, but you've helped a lot already. I'll be okay."

Stephen nodded assuringly, but there was an expression on his face that Tesla couldn't read. He took the first step down to the sidewalk, peering back at Tesla as she stood in the doorway, darkness creeping up behind her from inside the house. He sighed heavily. "If you need something, call me."

Tesla smiled a bit. "I will."

With that, Stephen left.

Now, Tesla's standing in the middle of the makeshift office in her mother's house. The light in the room is on, but every other room in the house is dark. This is the first place she went to first. The closet full of her father's boxes is wide open for the last time she was here. There are twenty-five boxes total. Two of them are larger than the rest with sub-letters written next to the number, date, and initials.