Stephen

_ _ _

_ _ _

The rest of her break, Tesla tried to stray away from the box in the office. She knew—even if her mother didn't say it—her mother did not want her daughter home just to watch her close herself off and study for her exams that were two weeks away. Typically Tesla would try to sneak in as much time to study as possible, but she actually enjoyed the distraction. Since her mother opened up to her about her father, the entire weekend was spent with the two of them doing things that Albert Edison loved to do. Tesla found herself liking most of the science things he loved. When it came to his favorite things like food, music, and his favorite card game: 'Go Fish', she was not a fan. Elsa agreed.

Esla dropped Tesla off at the bus station ten minutes from campus early Monday morning with a smile. "See you soon, liebling. Have a great week, okay?"

Tesla nodded, getting out of the Opel. She asked her mother to drop her off, not out of embarrassment, but because she loved to walk to campus and watch the leaves fall from the trees and the people walk around. Tesla's backpack was heavier than it was before she arrived at her mother's. She made sure to grab as much as she could from box number eight and bring it back to Harvard with her. Tesla wanted to find out everything she could about this James Barnes that supposedly looked twenty-six when he should be in his seventies. And what did her father mean by Watchers, Sorcerers, and Travelers? His own Traveler?

Huffing out hot air, Tesla shakes her head. It doesn't matter now, because she has to get ready for her shift tonight. The waiter at the diner offered Tesla a job every time she came in, until finally right before Thanksgiving break she accepted the job, and while she only had two hours of training, she doesn't think it'll be too hard for her to remember orders and serve food. She's good at keeping herself busy.

_ _ _

"Welcome back!" a young woman, Lacy, calls brightly as Tesla slumps through the doorway of her new work place. The restaurant itself is large enough to hold about twenty tables, a bar, and a little stage for trivia and open mic nights. It's very much a college bar, but because Tesla keeps to herself, she doesn't recognize many of the students that come in and out of the diner until they use their student IDs for discounts.

"You're three seconds late," someone comments, stepping from around Tesla. His pale, blue eyes are dancing with cockiness and a hint of criticism. He smirks slightly, his dark hair hanging around his face in waves.

"Hello to you, too, Stephen," Tesla mumbles, rolling her eyes at him. Stephen is the one that offered Tesla the job and helped her train a bit before break. Stephen is the assistant manager of the front end of the restaurant so graciously named The Nook. Tesla follows Stephen, who weaves his way through the tables that seat four. Only a couple of tables are occupied in Stephen's section, and one is in Lacy's section, which will be Tesla's in a short minute.