Chapter 11

As Manik was getting ready to head to the resort, he spotted Mukti descending the stairs. He asked her, "Mukti, would you like me to drop you off at home or take you to meet up with your friend?"

"Manik, if it's okay with you, can we sit and have a conversation to clear up some things, particularly regarding our relationship," Mukti asked.

"Relationship? Seriously, Mukti? Have I ever been close to you or do you even know anything about me besides my name?" Manik responded.

"That's what I want to understand, why don't you find me attractive? Why can't I get the same attention from you that other men give to their women?" Mukti replied.

"We should talk about this, I've been wanting to bring it up for a while now. I haven't had the opportunity until now. Please, have a seat, and let's discuss this 'so-called us' of ours," Manik said as he sat down on the couch.

She sat on the chair and looked at him,

He asked, 'What did your Karan Uncle tell you about me? Do you like me? If so, why?'"

"She sat on the chair, looking at him with a smile as she replied, 'My Uncle told me that he has found a suitable alliance for me, and he likes you. I like you too, not just because of my Uncle's approval, but because of your honesty and authenticity. I've noticed that you're genuine, not trying to impress me or act a certain way. And, I have to say, you're quite handsome too," She said with a smile.

"He looked at her, his heart sinking as he said, 'Mukti, I understand that you like me, but you don't love me. There is a difference between loving and liking a person. Don't think like a child, that just because someone is handsome, you should fall in love. And I can see that we don't have attraction. You are a good person and I respect you, but that doesn't mean we should be in love. I hope you understand. And I don't know how to explain this to your Uncle'." He said with a hint of sadness in his voice.

Manik, you're right. I like you, but I don't love you, and I don't have any strong feelings for you. I'm glad you were honest with me. It's okay, we'll find a way to explain it to my uncle, he'll understand. And you know what? Why can't we just be friends? At least we can have that," she said with a hint of optimism in her voice.

Okay, we can be friends," he said, relieved that they could still have a positive relationship.

"Manik, do you love anyone?" She asked. For a second, Nandini came to his mind, but he quickly brushed the thought away and said "No," And he asked, "Do you love anyone?"

Ah, yes," she said, a hint of sadness in her voice. "It was in my college days. I'm not sure if it was a crush or love, but I did admire someone. I even shared this with my uncle. But when I was about to confess my feelings, he suddenly disappeared from college. Later on, I even forgot about him. I had dreams of building a future with him, but I don't know where he went. At that same time, my Aunty Muntaj also passed away, I don't know why God takes away the ones I love," she said with a sigh.

While thinking about the name Muntaj, Manik asked her "What is his name?"

Mukti replied, "His name is Abhimanyu Takkar."

He asked " Who is Muntaj Aunty? "

"I don't know how my parents would be, my uncle is my everything. Muntaj begam Aunty was my caretaker, she loved me like her own child. I used to share everything about my college and friends details, even about Abhimanyu, with her. She was very happy for me. She was like a mother to me. When I went on a college trip, uncle told me that she died in an accident," Mukti said with a heavy heart.

You haven't seen her cremation?" he asked her, trying to get more information

"I haven't seen her cremation," Mukti said, her voice filled with sadness