"Min-Jae"

twenty four
Hoseok Jung

Manhattan was freezing cold in the mornings, especially when it had snowed just a bit the night before. The streets are covered with thick sheets of dirty ice abused by tire marks. I could feel a ice beneath my boots as I shifted my feet around under the table to get comfortable. Choosing to not hold this meeting inside of the cafe seemed like a smart idea. I didn't know how Min Jae would chose to act today.

It amused me how she seemed so eager to hold this conversation over the phone, yet she was thirty minutes late. I should have been left. Perhaps, this was a sign to not entertain her manipulative bullshit. To pull myself away from the past before she consumed me again and continued to ruin what was left of me. But here I was. Still sitting, fingers tapping my lap as I looked around for her through my tinted glasses.

Another thing. I was risking everything by being out like this. Knowing that at any given time a fan could recognize me and I would have to move locations. A few had attempted to walk up to me already. I didn't cave in, acting as if I wasn't who they thought I was as a way to draw them back.

I bet Min Jae wasn't even thinking about that. Wasn't even thinking of the danger I was putting myself in to fulfill her needs and soothe her stress...

"I am so sorry. I got caught up in traffic and it doesn't help that the road is covered in ice."

She's here.

I rolled my eyes beneath the tinted lenses of my Ray Bands as she took the seat before me. The expensive Taxidermy snake skin bag in which she had paid well over $1,500 for is placed on the table beside an empty plate and glass of wine. She looks...the same. Normal. Not a speck of hair out of place. She is molded to perfection, solid.

"It's fine." I clear my throat, easing my way up in the chair. "Let's get down to business. Why'd you call me here?"

Min-Jae stares at me in complete silence for a second or two before she burst into unexpected laughter. Covering her mouth, whine almond shaped nails blanketing her thin red lips.

"I-I'm sorry it's just...hilarious you would ask that." Her laughter dies down into a petty ass giggle. "Considering the fact that you've been ignoring my calls and texts. I had to contact Namjoon in order to set this up."

"I've been busy." I stated. Min-Jae hummed, picking up her glass. "So I've heard. How's the fame been treating you? Meet and greets left and right. Press conferences. Book signings."

Min-Jae had always been bitter. It just took me awhile to realize how much of a bitch she was because of it. The love you held for a person made you ignore the most destructive things about them. Now as we were going through a divorce, I realized that all along she had never truly supported my career. But rather, mocked me for it. She was abusive in a sense. Mentally, emotionally draining. I was the victim. Being laughed at. I was the puppet. Being toyed with.

"I got in contact with the lawyer right before I came." I chose to not answer her early question. She sips from her wine as she listens. Finally she was shutting her mouth.

"We signed a prenup. What's mines is mines and what's yours is yours. I don't want the house either. Have it if you want it." I said. Min-Jae frowned.

"You're placing the burden of the house on me?"

"It's not a burden. The house is paid for. Renovated. In a fucking gated community for Christ sake. Don't be dramatic, Jae." I snorted. Of course, she pouts like a fucking child.