[20] End of Set 2

Izumi: id have to push back the next update by at least 1 week im sorry! School!

COACH NORIMUNE = KUROSU NORIMUNE (i accidentally used his first name in the previous chapter(s), i will use his last name from now on)

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Recap:

"Guys like Shinsuke show up every once in a while." Coach Norimune said and the got the attention of the other three sitting on the bench. "They're definitely not the star, but their presence takes over the whole court. He's had that kind of presence ever since middle school. He never did anything unnecessary and his words were precise. His plays needed a bit of work, but they were thorough."

"And now... Shinsuke is overflowing with confidence. Not confidence that says he's stronger than others, but confidence that ensures that he won't mess up."

On with Chapter 20:

3RD PERSON POV

"I don't understand why anyone ever gets nervous."

"What? Are you some kind of robot?

"You only get nervous because you try to be more powerful than you usually are, right? I mean, when you do day-to-day things like eat or use the toilet, you don't get nervous. That should apply to volleyball too."

"If it's something you can do during practice, there's no reason to get nervous."

Aran sat at the bench beside (Y/n), drinking from his water bottle as he watched the match go on.

Karasuno also had a player substitution where Yamaguchi subbed in for Hinata during his turn to serve. He sent a float serve that curved but Kita received it easily, so easy that even Karasuno was shocked.

"Shinsuke's abilities could be considered better than average. It's not like he's physically or technically impressive, or stands out. But... anything he can do during practices, he can also absolutely pull off in matches. The best praise you should give Shinsuke is to not be surprised."

For some reason, Coach's words reminded (Y/n) back when Atsumu caught a cold from the cold weather. She had tried to tell him to stay at home to rest but him being him, the blond chose to go to training instead. She had ranted this to Kita on the way to the gym through text and all he replied was "I see."

But he must have done something because Atsumu ended up telling her he was going to go back home before training started, while holding a plastic bag filled with items in one of his hands.

Speaking of Kita, (Y/n) remembered a moment when she was walking down the school hallway with Omimi. They spotted Suna and Ginjima standing at the entrance of the boy's restroom.

The two third years stopped behind them and peeked inside to see Kita in his cleaning getup.

"Don't worry about it. That's Shinsuke's ritual." Omimi told them and (Y/n) nodded beside him, although the second years continued staring at them confusedly.

Another Kita moment that happened was when the team had gotten their jerseys. The boys were sitting on the floor of the gym and the coaches and the manager were giving out the jerseys in order at the front.

"#1, Kita!" the coach called and (Y/n) dug into the box to get out his jersey and handed it over to him. "Congrats, Shinsuke." she said since she saw his jersey number was underlined, showing he was the captain.

Kita however looked unfazed as he accepted the jersey and went back to his spot.

"Next up, #2, Omimi!"

He hugged the jersey close to his chest and tears began to flow out of his eyes. The scene shocked everyone around him since they rarely see their now-captain express any emotion.

'Shinsuke..'

"And Inarizaki is at set point!"

The announcer snapped the manager out of her thoughts. Ginjima had scored against Karasuno and now the score between them was 24 - 16.

Akagi exited the court and Suna entered. He barely took a step past the line and already felt the intense stare from Kita.

"(Y/n), do you know why I put Kita in the game?" Coach Kurosu's sudden question caught the manager off guard, "Uh, because he is reliable?" she replied with a question and he laughed.

"You're not wrong." he said, "I don't put Kita in just to strengthen our defense. Whenever there's a difference in the scores, the second-years either panic or let their guard down. They should have authority but they're mentally weak. Kita's the only one who can whip them into shape."

"That is true.." (Y/n) muttered when she thinks about Atsumu's reckless plays and Suna lowering his guard.

During this conversation, Omimi was subbed with another player, #13 Kosaku Yuto, during his turn to serve.

"They're not holding back despite being in the lead!

Tanaka successfully received the strong serve but it bounced back towards Inarizaki's side.

Suna spiked the ball past Tsukishima but it hit Kageyama instead. Tanaka tried to save the ball but failed, making Inarizaki the winner of the second set.

"A powerful serve followed by a powerful quick allows Inarizaki High School to instantly take the second set!"

"Karasuno High School is at a loss!"

"The quicks from Inarizaki's #10 (Suna) just keep coming!"

"Not to mention, Karasuno's blockers seem like they're on top of things, but their defense is full of holes."

"They keep getting around the same guy."

"Atsumu." Kita called for the setter the moment the team started resting at the benches. "You... seeing Karasuno's setter serve earlier has made you want to do a spike serve, hasn't it?" the setter flinched, " "Man, it's so much cooler just blasting a spike serve." "I'm getting pretty sick of jump floaters, too." " (Y/n) laughed sheepishly

"Your jump floaters are scoring right now. You've been trying to crush their libero, so see it all the way through."

"Got it!"

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Follow my instagram for anime shiz! : _.mizu.izu._

Join our discord! The link is (somewhere) in my message board and my bio. It's a place where fanfic writers and readers come to chill!

Thank you for reading, hope you enjoyed it, apologies for the mistakes and please do point them out. Please vote if you enjoyed it, it encourages me to publish more.

※ will update when free/not lazy/bored/when I have ideas ※