The Acting Troupe

They were having a barbeque for dinner. On a balcony overlooking the blue mountains in which Quolldron college was situated, two barbeque stations stood, each sparking with red flames that, according to Wayne, were eternal.

'We never switch the barbie off,' he added. 'Anyone can come and grab smoked aubergine or potato-ribs when they feel their stomach calling.'

Bagsy eyed the selection of goods roasting on the barbeque. There were colourful vegetables drizzled in a glossy dressing, steaming corn on the cob, toasted bread with garlic, tomato and basil on top, crispy bean burgers with spicy sauce and a pitcher of lemonade to wash it all down. Bagsy piled her plate high.

Wooden tables and benches filled up with the few people present at the school. Wattleseed and Kim settled next to Stery at one end whilst Wayne and Sheila sat opposite Bagsy and Mezrielda.

With loud thuds announcing his arrival, another man joined them. A hush fell over the table as the occupants turned to look at him.

He was short and wide, and looked as though someone had stacked an assortment of boxes on top of each other in the rough shape of a human and called it a day. He was white skinned and his face incredibly square, with a knife-sharp jaw line. His hair was wispy, grey and, unlike his protruding gut, receding.

He smiled at them all, further wrinkling his already wrinkled face, and revealing perfectly straight teeth. 'G'day,' he greeted them, taking a seat next to Stery, who was giving him an oddly disapproving glare. 'I'm Principle Diggles. Great to meet you all.'

'Principle Diggles, it's fantastic to meet you!' Wattleseed raised a glass. 'I'd like to thank you for the go ahead on the exchange programme with Hogwarts, and your support of the S.P.R.O.U.T. project. You've been an asset!'

'Oh, ho ho,' Diggles laughed, abashed. 'I can't take all the credit. Stery did a little something here and there, didn't you?'

Stery grumbled, looking down at his plate. Bagsy knew that look, she'd worn it many times herself. She got the sense Stery had done all of the work.

'Why don't I tell you about what I'm wearing?' Diggles said suddenly. Mezrielda choked on her drink in surprise at his wording.

Stery narrowed his eyes. 'I'm sure they'd rather just eat.'

'Nah,' Diggles scoffed, brushing his colleague off with a wave of his elderly hand. 'Look here, now.' He stood up and spun around. He was wearing a cloak that looked like it was made of many different individually stitched fabrics, each brown with white spots in an assortment of patterns. 'This is a traditional cloak the tribes used to wear!'

Stery crossed his arms and leant back, pointedly looking away from Principle Diggles.

Wayne shifted in his seat uncomfortably. 'Isn't it a little insensitive to wear that? Given, you know, where we are?'

Bagsy furrowed her brow in confusion. 'What do you mean?' she asked, but Diggles spoke before Wayne could respond.

'Not at all!' he insisted. 'Why, Stery here gave me permission to wear it. It was a gift from him.'

At that, Stery finally spoke up, though it was with a restrained and quiet voice. 'You told me if I didn't give it to you, you'd dock my pay.'

Diggles laughed, slapping Stery on the shoulder. 'You knew I was joking. Just fun between friends. It does look good on me though, doesn't it?'

Stery returned to silence.

Wayne leant over to Bagsy, his voice low so only she and Mezrielda would hear it. 'There's been a bit of tension here. The school's built on a site that used to be a home to an indigenous tribe of mages. Stery's been suggesting the school be moved to a more appropriate location so this site can be returned to them.'