The Rescue

That night, Mezrielda informed the others of the plan. Tomorrow, at dusk, they'd set off for the castle.

After she'd done that, she'd locked herself in the Eagle Club room and spent the remaining time practising. For one, she needed to practise spells, but for another, the third episode of Vampire Affairs was airing that evening. Before she'd watched them out of bitter curiosity. Now she couldn't stomach seeing Bagsy's face, knowing her friend wasn't behind those hazel eyes.

Instead, she'd fished out the book on spells for beginner's Bagsy had got her for Christmas and set to work.

***

It was an hour before dusk the following day. Mezrielda mastered a few spells, and resolved that confidence was what she needed more than anything.

Avoiding the other students at all costs, but unable to ignore their obnoxious raving about the third episode, Mezrielda snuck into Bagsy's private room. She hadn't slept for a while, having done nothing but practise spells, and she needed the reminders of her friend to give her strength to keep going. It was comforting to be around her friend's belongings, and to imagine she'd already rescued her, and they were back together at Hogwarts.

She ran her hand over Bagsy's duvet, wanting to wrap herself in it and fall asleep, telling herself it was Bagsy who was there, hugging her tightly, and not the coldness of failure.

Feeling guilty, but justifying it as necessary in her head, she looked through some of her friend's drawers, fishing out anything that looked like it may be able to help. She found glass baubles filled with what she assumed was sealable substance—the stuff that expanded and hardened on contact with air. She pocketed the seven that she found. If she and Bagsy made it out of this alive, she was sure Bagsy could forgive her.

Once she was satisfied there was nothing else she could use she left the castle. They had a plan, now they just needed to execute it.

The ex-captain of the WhiskWay ship was waiting for them by the forbidden forest's' tree line, a wickedly mischievous grin on her face.

'So,' Swiftie said, taking in the group of children while she petted the side of the winged horse. 'What rules are we breaking tonight?'

'The acting troupe's,' Mezrielda said. 'We're breaking into their castle.'

Swiftie's face fell in surprise. 'That is quite the rule-break.'

Teresa, without asking, pulled open the carriage door and put the crate of baby catercolumns inside before stepping in herself. 'I had to lie to Nevis about what I was doing tonight,' she said over her shoulder. 'This better be worth it.'

'It's for Bagsy,' Mezrielda reminded her, stepping in after.

The six of them squished uncomfortably into the carriage, the baby catercolumns mewing angrily from the little box they were kept in.

'I know, I know,' Teresa cooed in the most sympathetic voice Mezrielda had ever heard her use. 'I'm sorry but it's necessary. You'll get some new parents really soon, though, I promise.'

The carriage sped into the air, the speed forcing Mezrielda into her seat. The speed didn't let up for quite some time but, eventually, she heard Swiftie saying something.

'Hey!' Swiftie called from outside the carriage as it jostled. Mezrielda was gripping tightly onto the side of one of the windows, trying not to be dislodged from her seat and thrown out. She could fly if she fell, but it would take her a lot longer to get to the castle as a magpie. 'Was there another friend meant to be joining you?'

Mezrielda cursed.

Emmeline leant out the window she was sitting next too. Greenda let out a yelp of protest, grabbing onto Emmeline's jacket in worry that she'd fall.