Hidden Records

There were a few names underneath Perdita's, ending with Bagsy's own, but she didn't pay them much attention. Instead, she shut the book and hurried from the room and back down the tunnel. She'd found no evidence of the breathing blight. Instead, she'd found evidence that Maisy did have a sister, and that this sister had worked with the acting troupe.

When Bagsy got to the tent flap that led back into the main room, she heard lots of talking.

'Where is she?'

'I don't know – she has a pass so the tiles aren't announcing her steps.'

'Three, she was under your watch, why did you let her go?'

'She said she needed the toilet!'

Hands aided by panic, Bagsy produced the chattering ball she'd bought at Hoohsair and threw it into the room. With loud yammerings the ball zipped around, crashing into props, fabric walls, and heads. Bagsy winced as she heard a few crashes. The acting troupe let out cries as they tried to catch it.

Hoping no one was looking in her direction, Bagsy rushed through the tent flap. The make-up stand was in the corner, next to the screen she'd changed behind. She ran over and, not able to think of any other plan, threw herself onto the ground and pretended to be asleep.

Eventually, one of the stunt-workers managed to catch the spiked ball.

'Four, Three, clean up this mess,' Philip ordered. 'What in tarnation is that thing? One?'

'I don't know,' said One.

'Hmm.'

'Philip!' someone called very near Bagsy, startling her. Embracing the genuine shock to help pretend she'd only just woken, she rubbed her eyes and looked up at the stunt-worker.

Five looked back at her, brushing his shaggy hair out of his eyes. 'You've caused us a lot of distress.'

'Sorry,' Bagsy yawned. 'I work really late most nights so sometimes I just crash out. I'm prone to fainting – ask anyone.'

Philip, who'd reached them, frowned. 'You were sleeping?'

'Sorry. I get really tired sometimes.' She was trying her best not to say anything untrue. She knew her acting was atrocious.

Five looked at Philip. 'She does have massive bags below her eyes.'

'They don't call me Bagsy for nothing,' she joked weakly.

Philip looked at her closely, but said nothing.

Unprompted, Three called, 'Primrose, is Bagsy prone to fainting?' Three was on the other side of the room, so Bagsy took a brief second to puzzle at how they had heard what they were talking about.

Primrose sneered. 'Yes. It's pathetic. Her favourite place to faint is on a broom in the sky, believe it or not. I'd say the floor of your tent is a drastic improvement.'

Bagsy's puzzlement grew even more. Something in Primrose's voice was off, like she didn't believe Bagsy, yet she was convincing the acting troupe it was the truth.

Philip finally relaxed, seeming satisfied. 'We were worried something had happened to you.' He offered a hand to help Bagsy to her feet, which she took.

'Thanks,' she said, before removing her hand from Philip's as quickly as she could. Unfortunately, Philip put one of his long-limbed arms around her and gave her shoulder a squeeze before touching his hand to the back of her neck. 'I'm just plum relieved we managed to find you after all,' he explained before finishing with a pat on her head.