A Series of Mysteries

Bagsy hated to admit it, but Starrett had been right. She didn't have time for quidditch.

On Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings, she had to attend lessons on Artifisiary, whatever that was, with Professor Starrett.

On Wednesday, Starrett had made her run while shooting jets of gold paint at her. On Friday, she'd made the entire floor of the Charms classroom slanted, slippery and with small firecrackers sliding about it. She'd asked Bagsy to make her way to the other side. Any time she had stopped to catch her breath, Starrett had spelled one of the firecrackers to move in her direction. By the time the session was done, Bagsy was beyond exhausted.

It also just so happened that the Hufflepuff quidditch team practised on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the same time Bagsy had Artifisiary. She could make the last ten minutes, but by the time Starrett had finished making her jump through hoops, sometimes literally, she didn't feel up to it. Kat had been understanding, but sad.

'I really didn't mean for this,' Bagsy had tried to explain, to a crestfallen Kat.

Kat had given her a thankful nod. 'It's not your fault, Bagsy. It's just that Ford is gone now, and no one else tried out for the team, so we're currently down a player and practise is looking pretty sparse.'

Teresa shot a look in Bagsy's direction. 'Just tell Starrett to move your lessons. It's not that big of a deal. You guys make drama out of the smallest thing.'

Kat had frowned. 'That's not very helpful, Teresa.'

Teresa had shrugged. 'I just tell it like it is.'

Neve, without looking up from the paper folding she was focussing hard on, had coughed meaningfully.

Teresa had sighed. 'Fine. Sorry. Neve's been trying to get me to be more sympathetic. I'm working on it, okay? That does sound unfair, Bagsy. We all know Starrett can be a right git.'

It was with a heavy heart that Bagsy continued to miss quidditch. However, something else was beginning to trouble her more. As the weeks rolled by, Mezrielda was acting in more and more disobedient ways.

It started in Transfiguration. Professor Hilkins had asked the class to turn a block of wood into a mixture of two substances; coal and ice. Some students, like Tod, managed to get pretty close in creating a murky mixture of black sludge. Mezrielda had given it a go but after her third try she'd slammed her wand down on her desk and given up.

Hilkins had politely asked her on multiple occasions to do the work.

'I've already shown you I'm more than talented enough,' Mezrielda had spat, to the surprise of many students who, after Mezrielda's efforts last year, had held her to a high esteem.

Hilkins had mumbled in surprise, looking rather sad, and left her alone for the rest of the lesson.

In the next Transfiguration lesson, Hilkins was more forceful. When Mezrielda continued to refuse to cast spells his sadness turned to frustration. Bagsy worried how long it would be before Mezrielda got detentions. If those went down on her school record, would they hurt her chances of remaining with her parents?

To make matters worse, she recognised the look of curious scheming in Primrose's eyes as she watched Mezrielda closely.

On Thursday afternoons, Bagsy had double Potions. The previous years, Professor Blythurst had been a silent presence. Now, Professor Stery guided every session.

For the first time in a long time, Bagsy could brew her own potion without the pressure of knowing everyone was copying her. It was so relaxing she often had a second cauldron bubbling with something experimental to challenge herself.