Option Two

During double Charms, Bagsy paid little attention to Professor Starrett's teachings. Thankfully, Professor Starrett had decided to leave Bagsy and Mezrielda in peace in favour of actually teaching her class, so when lunch rolled around Bagsy had enough energy to face the next problem head on.

'I have no idea how to get a letter to Winifred,' she said as they settled into the library nook. 'I have no clue where she's hiding.'

'Fitzsimmons would know.'

'The whole point of asking Winifred is to avoid speaking with Fitzsimmons,' Bagsy shot back. 'Sorry, I just really don't want to talk to Fitzsimmons about the blood eyed beast. I think doing so will end with our sudden death.'

Mezrielda was flipping through a Charms textbook, but she couldn't be bothered to direct her eyes at its pages. 'I'm not sure I agree.'

'You've always been the one saying we shouldn't trust Professor Fitzsimmons.'

Mezrielda shut the textbook defeatedly. 'That's correct, but I've been thinking... if Fitzsimmons really wanted to hurt us, if they really wanted to kill us, couldn't they have done so already?'

'I don't know. There are a lot of eyes around us. Someone would notice if Fitzsimmons tried to harm us.'

'Yes, but Fitzsimmons isn't unintelligent. They could lure us somewhere alone and finish us off that way. I'm sure there are a thousand ways they could murder us if they wished. Yet, for three school years it seems that Fitzsimmons has done nothing but try to keep us safe.'

'But what about that vision I had? The beast looked like Professor Fitzsimmons.'

'Fitzsimmons claimed to have been battling the beast themselves in our second year,' Mezrielda countered. 'They kept getting injuries from their fights, remember?'

'We only have their word on that.'

'Incorrect. Starrett and Blythurst helped, as well.'

Bagsy folded her arms. 'It was you who pointed out that Fitzsimmons shouldn't be able to know what your wish was, remember? Back when you made it in first year you didn't tell Fitzsimmons what it was, and yet they knew.'

'I'm not saying there isn't something peculiar afoot,' said Mezrielda. 'I'm simply saying, as far as I can tell, our lives aren't in danger. If we want answers we should report directly to Fitzsimmons to get them.'

Bagsy pursed her lips. 'I still don't know...'

'If you don't want to, I won't make us, but I think it's our best option.'

There was a long moment of silence.

'If you think so, then I agree,' Bagsy relented. She fished out her timetable. 'We have Defence Against the Dark Arts after lunch.'

'Superb. We can talk to them after.'

Bagsy shifted in her seat uncomfortably. If it were up to her they'd postpone the talk as long as possible.

Mezrielda suddenly perked up. 'Look!' With more excitement than Bagsy had seen in a kitten discovering catnip, Mezrielda shoved her timetable in her face. 'Finally!'

Squinting, Bagsy failed to read the words held so close to her eyes. 'Uhhh... what are you excited about?'

Mezrielda pulled the timetable away from her, looking abashed. She flicked her hair self-consciously over her shoulder and cleared her throat. 'I meant to say that I was somewhat pleased to observe we have practical Herbology together this year.'

'Merlin's beard!' Bagsy leapt out of her chair. The young librarian didn't bother shushing them – she'd learnt there was no point. 'We can be partners for this year's project!'