The Fall

Bagsy wasn't sure if Mezrielda was right. She was a doppelganger, which meant everything she was she'd stolen from someone else. Yet, Mezrielda thought she was the same person still, and Bagsy did trust Mezrielda. So where did that leave her?

Bagsy didn't have time to think on it as she and Mezrielda ran through the corridors. Mezrielda was complaining about brick-ticks sealing holes and not having any more salt, which didn't help Bagsy's confusion.

As they moved, she felt rumblings, and Bagsy noticed cracks in the floor. 'What's happening?'

Mezrielda cringed. 'That's my doing... I think I was a little too overzealous with my stone transfiguration.'

Trying not to think about the castle falling around them, they pushed on. Eventually, they came to the entrance corridor.

'Wait!' Mezrielda held out a hand to stop Bagsy. 'Those are catercolumns. Teresa said they're territorial.'

'We'll have to be quick then,' said Bagsy, looking Mezrielda up and down. Her friend was physically weakened. Bagsy picked her up. 'Hold tight,' she warned, forcing thaumaturgy into her muscles. Mezrielda let out a surprised noise as Bagsy kicked off and shot through the hall at a speed so fast the columns didn't so much as twitch in response. She just barely managed to stop before they tumbled off the clouds and into the air, now outside the castle.

'Never do that again,' Mezrielda said shakily as Bagsy put her down.

Bagsy didn't respond. She was too busy looking at the nearing figures. Was she seeing things or where Jon, Itsuki, Teresa and Greenda approaching? And who was that Greenda was carrying?

Mezrielda didn't seem surprised as she rushed over to them. 'Emmeline?' she asked, looking at the body Greenda was carrying. Whoever they were, they were wrapped in a jacket. Greenda pulled the jacket aside to show the face.

As she recognised the scales Bagsy was truly confused. What was Primrose doing here? And unconscious, too? She thought this might have been some kind of a rescue party, but Primrose wouldn't dream of rescuing her.

'We need to leave.' Mezrielda checked her wand as if she was concerned it might have broken. 'Everyone to the carriage.'

'We can't,' said Greenda. 'Not without Emmeline.'

Mezrielda looked at Greenda sharply. 'I thought...'

'I couldn't find her,' said Greenda. 'That doesn't mean she's— She could be trapped somewhere!'

Bagsy frowned. 'Emmeline was here? Then yeah, we can't leave without her!'

Mezrielda looked at the exit platform and then at Greenda. 'There's not time to look for her, this place is falling apart...' Suddenly, her eyes widened. 'Put Primrose on the ground.'

Hesitantly, Greenda did so. Primrose didn't wake from whatever had sent her to sleep, but she was breathing. Mezrielda put a hand on Bagsy's shoulder and guided her to kneel by Primrose. She looked at Greenda. 'I need you to make sure everyone looks away.'

'What are you going to do—?'

'There isn't time!' Mezrielda hissed. 'Do as I say. Now.'

Greenda nodded, getting Jon, Itsuki and Teresa to move aside.

Mezrielda bowed her head close to Bagsy, who was still very confused. She said, 'I'm sorry to ask this of you, but it's the quickest way, and time isn't something we have right now.' Bagsy regarded Mezrielda warily. 'I need you to look into Primrose's memories and find out where Emmeline is.'

Bagsy felt the blood drain from her face. 'No. I can't... what I am is... it's disgusting... I can't do that!'

'If you don't, we won't find Emmeline in time.'