The Vampire Ball

For one night, the students of Hogwarts could forget that in two weeks they'd be trapped inside, unable to enjoy the summer sun, as they laboured away on how to brew a confusion concoction, or how brick-ticks could combine into walls, or the five steps to a perfect animation charm. For that night was the night of the Vampire Ball, and that night took place on a floating castle in the sky.

The transport gallantly pulled up outside Hogwarts castle; a procession of ornate carriages pulled by winged equines, the dark oak and gold accents glinting as they caught the evening sun. It took Bagsy's eyes a moment to find Mezrielda in the line of students waiting to board.

Mezrielda was at the back, sticking to the shadows of the castle walls. Nevis had done an excellent job with her outfit. She was dressed in a long velvet coat that was the dark turquoise of algae sunk to the bottom of a well. Its collar was knife-sharp, and black ruffles, lace, and obsidian beads ornamented the suit.

Bagsy would have described her friend as refined, if she didn't think Mezrielda looked so intensely cool as well, like she couldn't care less if anyone thought she was a vampire.

Mezrielda caught her looking and grinned.

Bagsy's eyebrows shot up. Mezrielda was wearing a set of fake fangs that, unlike the ones used in Vampire Affairs, looked very real.

Mezrielda marched over.

'I like the teeth,' said Bagsy. 'Bold move.'

'If everyone thinks I'm a vampire I may as well lean into it a little, right?' She held her hands out to show the web-patterned gloves she was wearing.

'You look like you came straight from a coffin.'

'Maybe I did.' Mezrielda winked and Bagsy couldn't find words to respond, so Mezrielda motioned at her dress. 'Nevis is a fantastic seamster. Would you grace me with a spin?'

Bagsy twirled, the skirt spreading around her like the waves of an amber ocean.

Mezrielda grinned. 'Amazing.'

'Right?' Bagsy ran her hands over the soft fabric. 'We owe Nevis big time!'

Out of nowhere, Teresa threw her arms over them both. 'And me!' she chided. 'I helped!'

Bagsy gave Teresa a look. 'More like stabbed me with a thousand needles.'

'You lived, didn't you? Anyway, shall we share a carriage?' She pointed to where Nevis, Jon and Itsuki were all standing, comparing their suits even though, to Bagsy, they looked identical.

Accepting the invitation, Bagsy and Mezrielda joined the others in a carriage when it came to their turn. Bagsy squinted at the driver curiously.

'What?' Mezrielda leant to see what Bagsy was looking at.

'I think I recognise the driver,' Bagsy murmured, then, placing the face, 'it's the captain of the ship we got to Australia!'

'Truly? Interesting. Perhaps she grew tired of her previous job – she did seem rather bored.'

Bagsy was about to respond when the carriage rocketed into the sky at a far more energised pace that the others had.

The woman driving whooped happily as the students tried to find something to hold onto.

The ground fell away, and the sky swarmed down to meet them as clouds and blue hues replaced the grass and castle walls of Hogwarts. With half an hour of jostles, bumps, and sharp turns, the carriage pulled to a stop. Nevis' face was practically green as he tried not to be ill, while Itsuki and Jon were laughing about the whole ordeal as if they'd just ridden a roller-coaster.