A New Professor

Roast vegetable skewers, corn on the cob and stuffed aubergine were piled on Bagsy's plate as she settled in for their last barbeque dinner of the trip. Tomorrow, they'd be leaving Australia and heading back to England. Principle Diggles hadn't joined them, to Bagsy's relief, so she ate her food in happy silence. She felt better after her shower, but she was still creeped out by Philip and the acting troupe, and the red tent was visible in the distance on another plateau far away to their right. Taking a second to thank Quolldron college for being so large that the acting troupe could be there but also be nowhere near her, Bagsy finished her meal.

Wattleseed, Kim and Stery were standing next to the fires of the barbeque, talking in low voices to each other. Meanwhile, Mezrielda was fidgeting in her seat, seemingly annoyed.

'What's wrong?' Bagsy asked her.

Mezrielda glanced at Bagsy, then returned her gaze to the three professors. 'I wish I could hear what they were saying. It looks important.'

'And you say I'm the nosy one.'

Mezrielda rolled her eyes. 'If it weren't for Mr Mortem, I'd remember how to cast a spell to eavesdrop on them. I did once before, when Rebekah was snitching on you to Professor Starrett. Now, I wouldn't even know what the incantation was, let alone the wand movement.'

Bagsy looked curiously over at the teachers. Admittedly, she also wanted to know what they were saying. 'You don't need magic to eavesdrop.' Bagsy flipped her legs over the bench and stood up. She raised her voice dramatically. 'Ooh, I'm sooo hungry. I better go and get a refill.'

Mezrielda followed Bagsy back to the barbeque stations. 'You were certainly correct,' she whispered in a low voice to her. 'You really can't act.'

Bagsy stifled a laugh as she opened one of the barbeque stations and feigned indecision over some grilled potatoes and roasting tomato-covered bread. 'What to choose, what to choose,' she mumbled for effect, while Mezrielda tilted her head and placed a hand to her chin in deep consideration, only adding to the act.

The professors' voices were in hearing range.

'I'm not sure,' Stery was muttering. 'I've never lived anywhere but Australia.'

'It'd be great!' Kim piped up. 'You'd be paid more, you'd work fewer hours, you'd have a far more supportive and friendlier cohort, and don't even get me started on the students. They're all lovely!'

Wattleseed nodded. 'You'd get to teach Bagsy, as well.' He lowered his voice further, clearly hoping Bagsy wouldn't overhear. 'She's great at potions. Blythurst says she's a joy to teach. He reckons he would've had to retire already if it weren't for her helping out in class.'

Bagsy's cheeks flushed, and she turned her head away, hoping the professors wouldn't notice.

Mezrielda was shooting her a look, wriggling her eyebrows up and down jokingly. 'Someone's a teacher's pet.'

Bagsy elbowed her, trying to force down a smile. 'Shut up.'

Stery tapped one of his feet on the floor.

'The papers are already sorted,' Wattleseed pressed on. 'Fitzsimmons would love to have you at Hogwarts, as would Blythurst. Fitzsimmons is also a lot more...' he glancing around, 'respectful than your principal.'

'Alright,' Stery relented. 'I won't lie, I've been looking to leave Quolldron college. Diggles is insufferable and I am over worked.'

'As a part-time potions professor you'll definitely have more time to dedicate to your own studies,' Kim said.

'Mate, you've already convinced me. You can stop it with the pros and cons, alright?'

'Alright,' Kim chuckled. 'Fair enough.'