A Scuffle in the Trees

Primrose looked at Mezrielda in silence. Rebekah and Logan, like clichéd goons, stepped out from behind trees.

Mezrielda's face was very still. Bagsy could tell she was considering her options carefully.

'I'm not a vampire,' she settled on, her hand twitching to where her wand was, but stilling in useless realisation.

'Oh?' Primrose tilted her head innocently. 'How come I've been reliably informed by my mother and father that your parents are vampires?'

Her brow furrowed in displeasure, Mezrielda took a step forward. 'If your nosy snub nose really needs to know, I'm adopted.'

Primrose burst out into laugh. 'Adopted! Good one! I wasn't born yesterday, you know? Vampires aren't allowed to adopt, idiot.'

Mezrielda's wand was in her hand in the next moment, levelled calmly at Primrose. Realising from the expressions on Rebekah and Logan's faces that this was about to go south, Bagsy pulling her spell-sponge gloves on and checked that she had her mag-net bat on her.

Primrose crossed her arms and nodded at Mezrielda's wand. 'Go on.'

The silence stretched for far too long.

Bagsy stepped between Mezrielda and Primrose. 'Just let us go.'

Primrose shook her head, her forked tongue flicking in and out of her mouth, her slit nostrils breathing heavily. 'I don't think so. Hogwarts won't stop vampires from thinking they can fit in with wizarding society, so someone else has to.' Her smirk widened into a maniacal grin. 'I've got a hunch, Mezrielda, dearest,' she cooed. 'I don't for a second understand why, perhaps it's a vampire thing, but I don't think you can cast spells anymore.' Her eyes darted to Bagsy. 'Maybe she's contagious. Maybe whatever she's got spread to you. What a pair you are. Two useless squibs, alone in the woods with no magic to help you.'

Mezrielda looked like a bull ready to charge.

Primrose laughed again. 'Alright, enough of the charade. Let's get down to business.' Readying her clawed hands, she advanced.

For the first time, Mezrielda took a step backwards, her wand still raised but looking less confident by the second.

Rebekah struck first, swishing her wand in Mezrielda's direction. 'Uneg.'

Bagsy caught the spell with one of her gloves.

Logan hissed, 'Locomotor mortis!'

Bagsy caught the spell again, but Primrose was upon her, and swiped at her face. She ducked back, and then ducked again as another swipe came her way.

Jets of light flew past her in Mezrielda's direction.

'Run!' Bagsy said, falling onto the floor with a thud as she tried to evade Primrose's sharp claws.

With a hiss, Primrose shot her sharpened hand at Bagsy. She barely managed to roll over and get out of the way. With a horrifying squelch, Primrose's claws dug into the ground she'd been moments before.

'Are you trying to kill us?' cried Bagsy.

'Just a light maiming,' said Primrose, pulling her claws free. 'I'm sure someone who loves attention like yourself can't wait to show off her injuries to garner free sympathy. If anything, I'm doing you a favour.'

Bagsy tried to scramble away, her heart thudding in her chest like a rabbit.

Primrose pouted mockingly at her. 'Such a pathetic act. Miss goody-two shoes. Did mummy and daddy not hug you enough so now you need everyone's approval to feel better? Is that it?'