Pota-toes

After the last lessons of the day, back in their nook in the library, Mezrielda and Bagsy drew a plan of action. Bagsy had popped down to the Hufflepuff common room to check the notice board – quidditch try outs were the upcoming weekend, and the first of the Vampire Affairs' auditions were later in the term. Given Kat, who Ford had made quidditch captain after he'd left, had written on the notice board that existing members need not apply again, and given they had no intention of auditioning for Vampire Affairs, that meant Mezrielda and Bagsy had their weekend free to execute anything they may need to. As much as Bagsy thought it was unfair to get back on the team without trying out, she also wanted to start on their plan as soon as possible.

'We can spend all Saturday and Sunday scouring the library if necessary,' said Mezrielda. 'The last time we researched the beast we didn't have the breathing blight's title. It could be that title is featured in more books than the blood eyed beast.'

Bagsy nodded in agreement, ready for another thorough book search. 'Mezrielda,' she said suddenly, 'I had that vision of the beast looking like Fitzsimmons, and I also had all those visions of Primrose's past... could Primrose have been right?'

Mezrielda frowned. 'About what?'

'About me having the sight? Do you think that, perhaps, I could have?'

Sitting very still, a battle of expressions fought on Mezrielda's face. On the one hand, she looked like she'd finally found a key to a lock that had been denying her for years. On the other, she looked like she'd realised opening this lock would set off a chain of horrid explosions. 'No,' Mezrielda said at last. 'I don't think so.'

'Then how can we trust my visions?'

'You saw Primrose's past because the obliviate spell malfunctioned,' said Mezrielda. 'The suit of armour probably has some ability to share its memories. The sight isn't being able to look into the past, Bagsy, it's being able to predict the future.'

Bagsy wasn't entirely convinced but left it there. She couldn't think of any other explanation.

Their progress forward decided, the two said their goodnights and headed back to their respective common rooms. Bagsy was already feeling tired – it had been an emotional roller coaster of a day and she still wasn't entirely unpacked.

Opening the secret door into her room, that last year she'd discovered was hidden by the fidelius charm, she took the space in. It felt cosy, but the cage instillation she'd built for her rats, Bill and Jill, sent a pang of sadness through her. She finished unpacking before getting out her bottomless toolbox and taking out her equipment. With a few tears, she dismantled the cage she'd made for her rats, freeing the shelves for other things to be placed there.

But she didn't want to put anything else there.

Eldritch, who was perched on one of the wooden outcrops Bagsy had installed for him, looked down at her pitifully and flapped his wings as if to send over a comforting breeze. Bagsy smiled weakly up at him before getting ready for bed.

The next morning she woke with barely contained excitement. Sure, the blood eyed beast could come back and kill her at any moment, and sure, she was now hunting one of the beast's apostles, but what did all that matter when she was going to get to be partners with Mezrielda in Herbology?

Bagsy exited her hidden room and instantly snapped out of her happy day dreaming as she barged into Kat Hawkins. 'Sorry!' she squeaked out, leaping backwards.

'Woah! Where did you come from?' Kat asked.

'Uhhh... nowhere!' Bagsy lied.

Neve, who Bagsy noticed was standing there also, looked absolutely terrified.