16

Then

"I'M GONNA throw up," sabi kaagad sa akin Roarke pagpasok ko sa green room. "I don't think I can do this."

"Twenty says he boots before he steps on the stage," ani Corey, nakangisi.

"Fifty says he'd spew on the stage," dagdag ni Mark.

Tiningnan ko nang masama ang dalawa. Mukhang hindi naman sila gaanong seryoso. Tumingin ako kay Storm na tahimik lang sa isang sulok. His body looked tense. He was also terrified. Siguro ay kabado rin sina Corey at Mark. Ang pagbibiro na lang ang outlet nila.

Tonight was their first public performance as a group. It was at a club. It was a small venue but it was known to have good live music. Tomorrow, the band would officially announce their new vocalist.

"I'm gonna throw up."

Ibinalik ko ang paningin ko kay Roarke. He looked so pale and he truly looked as though he was about to vomit everything he had on his stomach. His eyes were terrified. Hinaplos ko ang pisngi niya. "Do you want me to go with you to the bathroom? Where is the bathroom?"

Itinuro ni Corey ang isang pinto. Hinila ko roon si Roarke.

"This is a bad idea," sabi kaagad niya nang makapasok kami sa loob. Isinara ko ang pinto. "How did I even think–"

Sinarhan ng mga labi ko ang mga labi niya. "You'll be fine," sabi ko matapos kong alisin ang mga labi ko sa mga labi niya. Patuloy kong hinaplos ang pisngi niya. "You'll be great and everyone's gonna love you and your voice and your music. Because you have the best voice and the best songs."

It seemed as though Storm had the awakening and inspiration he needed to write new materials. I was right about that song. He just needed to rewrite it and be done with it. They tweaked the music and some of Roarke's lyrics and came out with a really good song. It was an absolute banger. I knew because Roarke made me listen to it. It was so perfect. Very different and familiar at the same time.

In my opinion, it could be their first hit, but Roarke told me they were putting it in a vault. They would release new music for now. Corey suggested they release that song in ten years, after they had proven to the world they were the real deal.

I also thought it was the best move.

They had been practicing, writing and recording nonstop. The amount of work they all had put through was truly admirable.

"You're so ready for this," sabi ko, may diin sa tinig ko. I never thought he would not do an outstanding job, but it was normal to be terrified of what was about to happen.

"I'm not, Yani. I'm not. I'm gonna mess up."

"You'll be awesome."

Mukhang hirap talaga siyang paniwalaan ako. Tumingin ako sa mga mata niya. "You'll be great because you're mine."

Nangunot ang noo niya. Parang hindi niya makita ang correlation. Walang correlation. Umaasa lang ako na baka makatulong.

"You don't get to mess up because I'm watching. Okay?"

Halos wala sa loob na tumango siya. Napangiti na ako. Medyo kumalma ang mga mata niya na ipinagpasalamat ko. May dinukot ako mula sa bag ko at ibinigay sa kanya.

"What is this?" tanong niya.

"A ring. You'd have so many fangirls after tonight. I'm staking my claim."

Binuksan niya ang ring box at sa loob ng ilang sandali ay pinagmasdan niya ang singsing sa loob niyon. Kinuha ko ang itim na singsing sa kinalalagyan. It was a black tungsten carbide ring. Itinuro ko ang subtle engraving sa outsides ng singsing. "Celtic knot for everlasting love. On the inside," ipinakita ko sa kanya ang loob.