30

From the Author: 'Just wanna quickly say thank you for everyone who availed Then Suddenly You and The Way It Was print edition during the presale. You can still order your copies by messaging Whimsical Books PH on their fb page. Thank you so much!

Happy reading! xo

--

Now

"I'VE been an ass the last few days."

Napangiti ako sa narinig ko mula kay James. Kasalukuyan kong kausap ang kapatid ko sa phone. Nakaupo na ako sa kama, nakasandal sa tufted upholstered headboard at nakahanda nang matulog. "You were," tugon ko.

"I made things difficult for you."

"You did."

"I'm sorry."

"You're forgiven."

"But seriously–"

"James, I will fix it."

Narinig ko ang pagbuntong-hininga niya. "I wanna ask how you're gonna fix it."

"You just did."

"And you're not gonna tell me. Because you have no idea how to fix this."

Natawa ako. "You said you're not gonna give me a hard time anymore."

"I did? I can't seem to remember when I said that."

Muli akong natawa.

"You know I love you, right?"

Mas natawa ako. "I love you, too."

We grew up not being close to each other. We didn't hate each other but we never really bonded when we were young. We were never vocal about our love for each other.

But after what happened to me, after rehab, and after I decided to stay with Lolo Hank, I noticed he made an effort to be a good brother to me even in long distance. He regularly called. He sent care packages. I would ask him to buy me CDs, vinyls and merch stuff and he would grumble and complain, but he would still send all the stuff I'd ask for and more.

He made an effort to really talk to me. Alam ko na dinibdib niya ang mga sinabi ko sa kanya dati. I had apologized to him and I told him I had dealt with my issues. I was in withdrawal, I wasn't really myself. I needed someone to blame and he was there being horrible.

"What you said was kind of true though. On the grandparents. Mom and Dad love us equally. They're also equally busy parents. They are not bad parents, they're just busy. It's true that Halmeoni likes me more. That's because I am a boy, first born and I look Asian. Gramps would never admit this but he wishes I look more like you. You look whiter. He's not a horrible grandfather, he just wants people to know I'm his grandson without having to say it to people who don't know. He'd like it if he doesn't have to explain that I'm his biological grandson, not an adopted one.

"And Lolo Hank loves you more than he loves me. And I know it's because kahawig mo si Lola Marianna at ipinangalan kang talaga sa kanya. Gramps expects so much of me and Lolo doesn't really care. Or I feel that way sometimes."

We really opened up to each other. We had issues but we never really talked about it before. Para kasing kasalanan na kung magkakaroon pa kami ng issues, samantalang naibigay na sa amin ang halos lahat ng kailangan namin. We bottled everything up inside. It was not healthy.

We made an effort to talk regularly. At least once a week kung talagang abala. Nadadalas ang tawag niya nitong mga nakaraang araw at alam ko na nag-aalala siya para sa akin. Kaya naman hindi ko talaga magawang mainis sa kanya.