Prologue

Neteyam pet the head of his ikran, carefully bonding with him before getting comfortable on the saddle.

He felt as his ikran grew uneasy, her black and gold eyes trained on the forest they were leaving behind.

He carefully ran his hand down her side, calming her, and himself.
"Calm, girl."
Neteyam spoke softly, giving his ikran a final stroke before leaning up, looking around.

He watched as Kiri sat calmly on her ikran, talking calmly.
Lo'ak only stared, his eyes darting to each and every tree around them.

His father was already ready to leave, waiting for his mate and youngest child.

Neteyam smiled as Netiryi walked beside him, humming to his ikran as she held Tuk in her arms.
"She is watered?"

Neteyam chuckled, not surprised at his mother's question.
Since the death of her first ikran, Seze, she always made sure to watch the others closely.
"She is, and fed."

Netiryi smiled, nodding before walking to her own Ikran, connecting almost immediately.

Neteyam waited for the signal, sighing as his father let out the call. His voice sounding through the forest.
He was the first the take off, Netiryi behind him, turning to her kids as she let her voice call to them.

The three siblings looked to each other, each taking off as fast as they could before soaring gently in the sky.

Neteyam looked behind him, his eyes showing him guilt and sorrow. Leaving his home behind. His past. His clan.

He looked forward as he heard his mother call, pushing forward through the sky.

^°^°^°^°^°

Neteyam let out a low groan, leaning his head back as exhaustion took him over.
Lo'ak and Kiri we're no better.

At one point, Kiri had fallen asleep while flying. Resulting, in Jake having to scream her awake.

Neteyam lifted his head as he heard Tuk speak up from Infront of their mother.
"Is that it?"

Neteyam hissed lowly, encouraging his ikran to go faster.
He waited, slowing her down once he got close to his parents. His siblings behind him.

"Will they be welcoming?" Neteyam asked as they circled the island, letting their arrival be known.

Jake looked to his son, licking his lips before looking back to the large island.

"I'm not sure, son. Just behave, yeah?" Jake said, looking to Neteyam before continuing in a whisper.
"And watch out for your siblings. Especially Lo'ak."

Neteyam looked back at his siblings before nodding to his father.
"Yes, sir."

Neteyam drew his ikran back, now flying with Lo'ak and Kiri.

"Aye, bro!"

Neteyam turned his head, blinking his acknowledgement.

"When we land, do we send our ikran's off?"

Neteyam furrowed his eyebrows, tilting his head. He looked to his own Ikran. Feeling her heart once again.
He turned back to Lo'ak.

"That is up to the clan of this island. Watch what mom and dad do. We will follow their lead."

Lo'ak nodded, turning his head back to the task at hand, Neteyam following suite.

'may Eywa help us'