Chapter Seven

{{I am sorry but after this, very sweet, chapter, there will be a time skip. I'm sorry cause the following chapters are very very sad. I apology, but enjoy p.s. it gets better remember, this is book one}}

Aonung watched as Neteyam swam on his back, Tuk on his chest resting peacefully.

The night before, Tuk fell ill. A fever and cough. Unable to be kept cool.

So, today, once she was able to stay awake, Neteyam took her to the water. Allowing it to naturally cool her temperature.

Aonung smiled as Neteyam passed Tuk to their father, giving him a small smile and nod before walking in his direction.

Aonung turned to Neteyam as he sat down, putting his hand in his own.
"How is she?"

Neteyam smiled, the worry for his sister leaving his features since her first temperature increase.
"Good, her breathing is better. Even."

Aonung nodded, feeling relief flooding through his own body.

In the time the half-breed family had come to his home, he had quickly grown to care for each in a different way.
Tuk reminded him much of his own sister, when she way younger. Always happy, never seeing her without a smile. Her nature to be care-free and curious.
Kiri, while he had to admit, was quiet weird, was also intelligent. Much like his mother. She always paid attention to her surroundings, losing herself in them.
Netiryi, reminded him greatly of his Aunt Oki'ta. She was gentle, but held a intimidating presence. Everyone grew to respect her. Both as a mother and warrior.
Jake, reminded him of his father. He held authority and wisdom. He seemed to always have a level-head, keeping his family safe. No matter the costs.
Aonung still wasn't fond of Lo'ak, but tried knowing his sister's love for him. But even through his dislike, he had to admit, he reminded him greatly of Rotxo. Reckless and hot-headed. He was untamable and unpredictable. Something he grew to enjoy at a young age.
Neteyam, on the hand, Aonung thought, was complicated. Even he had to admit he was something of his own world. A design and soul not meant for any to witness. He reminded Aonung of everyone. His mother's wisdom, his father's power, his sister's curiosity and caution, his Aunt's kindness, and Rotxo's competitive side. But one thing, that Aonung never thought possible, was his elegance and beauty. Aonung had watched Neteyam in his natural element, seeing him preform his tasks with ease. His eyes, a gentle but fierce gold, his freckles that would glow under the stars. Aonung often found himself wondering what Neteyam looked like in battle. He had seen some of Neteyam's anger, and he wished he never saw his full temper. He imagined him to be deadly, an unstoppable warrior. Neteyam, he concluded, was both a blessing and a curse.

"You okay?"

Aonung snapped out of his thoughts, realizing he had been staring at the Forest Na'vi for far too long.

He sighed, smiling. Deciding Neteyam was trustworthy enough for him to indulge him in his thoughts.
"I was thinking about life so you and your family arrived. My world, has been turned upside down. My life before was so routine. I would wake up, dive, hunt, then return and do work for my clan. But since you arrived, my routine has shifted. I wake up to see you, and your family. I go hunting and do my duties. And most of the time, my day ends with seeing you."

Neteyam smiled, feeling heat rise to his ears.
He himself, didn't know exactly what Aonung meant. He hadn't known Aonung before they came looking for a new home.

Aonung broke the silence once more, looking to Neteyam with a question flowing through his lips.
"What about you? Has your life changed?"

Neteyam chuckled, leaning forward, his hands resting in the sand to support himself.

"My life, in the forest, was much different than it is here. Back home, it was always missions and training. There was no time for fun and games."

Aonung swallowed, knowing this might be the wrong thing to say, but, he wanted to know more. More about all of Neteyam.
"What about Zímey?"

Neteyam gave a soft smile, his tail flicking in the sand.
"After dinner and getting treated, Zímey would take me to the tree of souls. We would dance and talk for hours. Every night, I would take him back home, singing a song my father told me about before going back to my family. It became a nightly ritual."

Aonung smiled, though it felt forced and weak. Upon hearing what Neteyam shared with Zímey, he felt as if something took a bite from his chest. But nonetheless, he wanted to hear Neteyam talk more.
"What happened?"

Neteyam frowned, his lips forming a thin line as he sat forward. His hands playing with each other.
"Before we left, his family had already heard of my family's soon to be departure. We met one last time, and he begged to go with me. But I knew his family would miss him. He was the only thing holding them together. So, I said no. In, I guess, pain, he told me he would join the warriors."

Neteyam swallowed, looking down before he bit his lip. His ears trained to the ground.
"Zímey was never one for war. He was kind and gentle. He longed for peace, much more than the rest of us who grew up fighting. I told him he was lying and was just angry and then left. I didn't see him before I left, knowing I would only have to deny him again."

Aonung frowned upon seeing Neteyam smile disappear over the length of his story. He carefully leaned Neteyam into him, letting him lay in his lap as he ran his hand down his back.

"But since I've been here, it's different. I'm no longer in line to be chief, I'm just a warrior. Back home, kids were intimated by my status and how fast I had been made a warrior. So when I came here..and met Tsireya, Rotxo, you..it's the first time I've had people close to my age accept me. Not for my accomplishments or my status, but solely because of myself. It's very different from the forest, and I'll always miss it. It will always be my home. But here, isn't so bad either."

Aonung smiled down to Neteyam as he turned, looking up to him from his lap.
He carefully placed a hand on Neteyam's face, flushing as he heard him purr under his touch.
"Good. Because life got better since you've joined it."

Neteyam smiled, placing a hand on Aonung's hand as he turned his hand. Giving his palm a gentle kiss before looking back up to him.
"Likewise."