No Mans Land

Birds are chirping and people are laughing despite the sun not rising as of yet. I get myself to go down the stairs in my riding gear as I grab some food to take along on the trip. Others are doing something similar and everyone arrives at the stables one by one.

Everyone grabs their own horses that they brought along for the trip as we make our way to No Man's Land. We start galloping past the scenery and arrive in the afternoon hours. Once we get our horses tied to the trees, we gather in front of the Duke and Duchess.

"Today, we will make our way across this section of the river that has the lowest tide," Duchess Inca says kindly, "once we make it across. The teams will be selected and then one of my men will sound the alarm to start the race to get these items that are listed here. Some are rare while others you will see almost everywhere."

Everyone starts entering the water and making their way across, the water reaches the knees as it rushes past.

Once on the other side, our teams are selected.

Tobin and Allegra
Count and Marchioness
King Cosmos and Baron of Aureolin
Baron Dune and Countess
Duchess Inca and Queen Rose
Darion and Marquess
Me and Prince Radley
Duchess of Gamboge and Duke of Gamboge
Princess Magnolia and Baron
Dillon and Duke of Sarcoline
King Peony and Prince Aster
Duke Lantana and Baroness
Baroness of Aureolin and Lucinda

"You can only get ten flowers and after you have selected them, you are not allowed to select any others," Duchess Inca says seriously.

Then, everyone is sent out to find their flowers.

Radley runs along with me as we make our way into the forest-like area. We follow a similar path to Baron Dune, Countess, Baroness of Aureolin and Lucinda.

All of us in the group, heading in the same direction, spot a bush full of bright red flowers. "Scarlet Sage," Radley says with a smile, "it is one of the flowers on the list." I nod, "I see that. It is like...everywhere." He nods, "It is a strange flower. It comes from the mint family." I nod as I see the flower looking similar to lavender flowers as multiple flowers are on one stem like little steps going up.

Soon, we disperse with the group and head in our own direction.

"Aha," Radley shouts and I cover his mouth, "mfmfmfm." "Seriously," I say as I wipe my hand on his shirt which always seems to be some shade of gold, "it is a rare flower so keep quiet." He nods, "Middlemist Red Camillia, well, pink in this case." "It looks so much like a rose but has more leaves and is not so...straight up as a rose but kind of like a carnation with rose leaves," I say as I observe it. He nods, "I agree...hey, can we not talk..." "About?" I ask him seriously. "What happened at the beach," he says nervously and I tense but shrug my shoulders, "I did not mean to make you feel uncomfortable...."

We both fall silent as we see my father and my brother near a Wild Lantana.

"I cannot believe his parents chose a flower to name him after when he is so...," I say with annoyance but shut my mouth when my father looks at us. I quickly hide my flowers from them.

"Ah," my father says with a smile, "hiding from me?" I shake my head, "Just trying to make sure you do not steal my flowers." My father laughs as he makes his way to another section of the forest as we grab the Wild Lantana and head in another direction. Dillon and Duke of Sarcoline come and grab the flowers as well, then they rush off into the distance.

"You guys seem tense," Radley says curiously. "Well," I say with annoyance, "when your father finds out your whole life story then I think it does affect him especially when his child was kidnapped." He grabs my arm and pulls me close to him but I try to pull myself away. He hugs me and my tears fall as the afternoon turns hotter.