Court Appearance

I slept inside the prison cell which was quite uncomfortable. Today we are all going on trial separately, so I am nervous since I won't have my support system that I've had throughout my life. "The court will commence the trial of Lavender which has charges of prostitution," the court announces to all those present which is basically myself, my attorney, the prosecutor, the judge and the officer who heard my explanation. All new words explained to me by my attorney before I came. "Can we hear what the prosecution has to say,"the judge announces. "The prosecution believes that the defendant is creating ideas and hiding her identity by making people believe that she has never seen the outside world and is going to use this as an excuse to get away with her crimes,"he states without caring about my feelings. "The attorney,"the judge states. "The defendant claims that she was deprived of her childhood after being kidnapped, and has never seen this world even the other prostitutes claim that they've seen the event unfold. The defendant doesn't deny engaging in the activity of prostitution, but states its the only life she knew and she knew no way out. The defendant didn't even know who was taking her away from the only family she knew and why I was present. The officer in charge also claims that it seems farfetched, but seems a rather weird tale to come up with on her own," she concludes with certainty.

"Witnesses?"the judge asks seriously. "The defendant herself and many others,"the attorney claims. "Some prostitutes who're denying allegations of prostitution have agreed to stand trial and state their side of the story if given some sort of pardon,"the prosecutor states politely. "Let's hear the stories then,"the judge exclaims. I restate my story. The officer restates her story of me telling my story and the people I thought were my family have decided to go against me to save themselves by giving false testimonies. I start sobbing just before the decree is supposed to be given and I ask my attorney for a break. The attorney asks and I go outside. "I can't believe they'd lie about me like that,"I state to my attorney. "You can't prove that,"she states sadly. "Why do I have to prove my innocence in this world, why can't I just be believed. Who hurt them?" I state sadly, "I lost my best friend why would I want to lie."

"The world is a bad place and it uses people like you for pleasure and they don't view you as a person,"the attorney states. "I know that, but am I untrustworthy because of what I was made into, I didn't choose the life I was given. If everyone chose wouldn't they want to be the best that's what I would've done," I state with tears in my eyes. "We have to go now," the attorney states. "Since the evidence is inconclusive, I've decided to put her into a foster home and show her pictures to parents who have filed a missing persons case for a four-year-old or younger or slightly older. In the foster home she will be monitored and we will see whether she is telling the truth or not," the judge states in conclusion and hits his gavel to signal the end of the session.

"I didn't expect this at all,"my attorney states shocked. "Neither did I,"I state in tears. "Here's who I will be sending you too. They're well-respected and quite strict, but I know them so I will keep an eye on you. They have an older son and a six-year-old daughter," he states seriously. The officer then runs past to leave. I nod and run after her. "Can you tell me whether you caught the manager and his son?" I ask concerned. "No, they got away for now but you don't need to be concerned they won't just search for you," she states kindly. "They might," I whisper as she leaves my presence. My attorney comes after me and says, "The judge and I, will escort you to the foster home." I nod. The judge gets into his car and the attorney sits beside me in the backseat. When we arrive at the building it's all green and made of some red colored thing, some green thing crawling up the sides of it. "Wow its amazing,"I state amazed, "what a nice building." "Its called a house or home,"the judge states kindly correcting me. "So many words for the same things," I state amazed.

As soon as we get close to the house, a man steps out. The judge tells me to stay inside while he talks to the man. The man's disposition changes a little, bit but I'm hopeful that the judge told him nothing, so he doesn't judge me. The judge steps back into the car. "You didn't tell them what I was before right?" I ask concerned. "No," he states sweetly, "but I think they're apprehensive to take you right now." "Oh, wonder why," I state confused. "Can you promise you'll stay out of trouble?"he asks politely. "I...I'm just not sure, because my boss is still out there with his son and I don't know what he'll ask of me, or force me to do,"I state scared. "Say you'll try your best at least," he states kindly. "I will try my best," I state rather grudgingly. I get out of the car and I stare at him in awe. The man takes me into the house and I'm left with him. The man picks up a picture frame, I've seen these before. "I'm the father of the house, I'm a lawyer and my name is Dan Peterson. This is my wife Lucy Peterson, she is the mother in the house and she is a doctor. My oldest son is eighteen and he's graduating from school this year, his name is Kris Peterson. My daughter is six, and she's in grade one so she just started school, her name is Emily Peterson," Dan states seriously. "I didn't understand anything you said Dan," I state politely. "How old are you?" He asks annoyed. "I'm fifteen today,"I state sweetly. "So why're you calling me by my name," he asks frustrated. "Um is that wrong?" I ask politely. "Call me Mr. Peterson," he states seriously. "Yes Mr. Peterson," I state politely. "Daddy," a little blond haired and blue eyed girl says as she runs towards him with a smile plastered on her face.

"Who's this daddy?" She asks sweetly. "A guest," he states annoyed. "Hey dad," a boy with brown hair and brown eyes states and then stops when he sees me. "Hey honey! Who's this?"A woman states sweetly. "This is someone the judge wants us to take care of while he monitors her,"he states annoyed. "Did she do something wrong?"the woman, I realize is Lucy, asks him, "because she can't stay here if she's like a criminal." "He wouldn't have brought her here if he didn't believe she were innocent," he states seriously, "but I think we need to set some rules and make sure she knows she's not a part of this family." At those words I walk out of the room and go to the front of the house, sit there and cry to myself. Can no one accept me now? I cry and sob but no one cares and no one comes to see if I'm ok. "Hello sweetie," a lady states, "would you tell me what you've done wrong?" "Why do you have to know? Can't you just accept me for what I am? Why does everyone need to know what I did when I didn't want to do it?" I say sobbing uncontrollably and trying to talk about my sadness. "Will you tell me why your so sad at least?" She asks kindly. "My best friend, more like my sister, died today and if she was here she'd help me navigate this world but since no one believes anyone she'd probably end up in jail, portrayed as a sinner," I state while sobbing and full of sadness, "I just want to belong somewhere and no one wants me to belong anywhere. That man, Mr. Peterson hates me and he doesn't even know me or anything about me. He uses all these fancy words that I don't understand like lawyer, doctor, daughter, son, father, mother, school, graduating, you guys even have last names, but no one cares about my name or my feelings because I'm just a girl who's here for you to take care of from court."

"Its not like that,"Lucy states and glances behind her, "they don't understand anything about troubles and sadness especially with death and stuff. My husband does, but he just stopped caring about righting the wrongs. You can call me mum, which means I'm someone you look up to who will care for you. Emily will be your younger sister now, and Kris will be your older brother but Mr. Peterson had a rough childhood too so you just call him what he needs to be called and put up with him for now." I walk back into the house and a older lady is making food so I look to mum for guidance. Kris is sitting, Emily is sitting and Mr. Peterson is sitting. Mum directs me to sit next to Emily, while she helps the old lady. "So what's your name?" Emily asks sweetly, Kris glares at her. "Lavender,"I state nervously. "What's your last name?" She asks politely. "I don't have one, the officer asked me the same question," I state politely. "Officer? Like police officer?" Kris asks politely. I nod. "Can't you tell us what you did, otherwise we have to keep guessing which can get scary?" Kris asks in a monotonous voice. I shake my head and state, "I just don't want to be judged so please understand."

"So you will be going to school Lavender so you need a last name," Mr. Peterson states annoyed. "What's school?"I ask politely. "You don't know what a school is?" Kris asks doubting her. "No, I've never heard of it before,"she claims honestly. "So we have to create an identity for you," mum states sweetly, "so what would you like your name to be." "Lavender Delilah,"I state sadly. "You need a last name too,"Emily states, "how about Peterson?" "You mean adopt her as a child into our house Emily, and what happens if she's a criminal?" Kris states seriously. "Since everyone's done. Let me show you to your room Lavender," mum states kindly. In my room there are countless books and shades of blue, the ceiling filled with white sparkling objects and strange objects hanging from the roof in the shape of a bird, lining the room. "This will be your room," mum states sweetly, "at school you'll learn stuff that's important, but you are obviously behind so we will start you in the grade your supposed to be, however you will take extra classes to catch up on whatever you missed from grade 1-9 even though you will be in grade 9."

"Thanks for everything, I really appreciate it and I hope everyone loves me for me," I state then drift to sleep. "I know why your here and no one knows but I was where you were only a few years ago and my past still haunts me till this day."