Chapter 25: Connecting

The rotation of family members finally made its way around to Beau. It had been months, a lot longer than they had planned. Chandra had said the spell was built well. Chandra had made the guess that she was probably sleeping in order for the spell to track down all traces of the muse and the memories attached to it. Beau sat silently by the bed. Worried about the fact that he planned the accident that hurt her. "Taya please wake up." He leaned his head on the bed wondering what it would be like, how she would be... "Taya..."

      "Who..." the shaky voice startled Beau he popped up to see her long lost eyes staring at him. The eyes he remembered from childhood, full of innocence and curiosity, smiling and clear.

     "I'm Beau, your brother." He stood up and tapped the button to call the nurse "you're safe, I won't let anyone hurt you." Beau sent off a quick test to his family and circle of friends.

     "What's up now, Beau," the nurse strode in eyes down at some papers in her hands. "You can't keep summoning us every time her eyes flutter." She looked up and dropped the papers "she shouldn't be awake yet..." she turned to the hallway and waved for someone then bent over to pick up her papers.

    "Well hello," the doctor stepped around the nurse his bright blue eyes sparkled as he smiled at her "How are you feeling?"

     "Confused." Taya tried to move but winced at the pain from her shoulder. "Ow." Taya's heart skipped a beat as the doctor touched the skin of her forehead, brushing her hair out of her face. Taya took a deep breath blushing slightly at him.

    "Yes... we are well aware that some of your injuries have not fully healed...try and lie still." The doctor started checking her over.

    "You were in a car accident." Beau shifted to the foot of the bed and watched. "Is her confusion a sign of a memory problem?"

    "Considering how hard she hit her head I wouldn't be surprised." He smiled at her then turned to Beau and raised his eyebrows hinting at him to drop it.

      Beau glanced down at his phone, "mom and Dad are here in the waiting room."

     "Huh?" Taya tried not to panic, she couldn't remember their faces.

      "Right now we need to make sure she is comfortable and not stressed." He turned back to Taya "just lay back and rest. I need to talk to your family for a moment." He brushed her cheek "just rest, your safe."

     The doctor stepped out with Beau and headed to the waiting room where their parents were. "Hi, yes your daughter is awake and very confused. We anticipated this, based on where the injuries were."

     "How bad is it?" Their dad gripped his wife tightly to brace her.

      "She has neurological amnesia, with the severity of the accident, that is from experience... I can tell you it is most likely permanent." The hospital staff around them were watching the family carefully but were distracted by Trinity just as Elsu predicted.

    "But she'll live," she sobbed "she'll be okay." Trinity brushed away the tears and put her concerned expression on, she was the one who could cry at the drop of a hat so she volunteered to be the focus here.

    "Yes, your sister will be just fine. You will have to be patient with her." He melted "You will need to work out a way to help her remember things for a while, write things down, and don't assume she will understand non-verbal cues. She will need to relearn some things, mostly social skills. A routine will help keep the stress off so she can just heal." The doctor smiled "her physical therapy will be a bit more of a challenge."