She's Lucky in an Unlucky Way

It felt like time dragged on forever as the doctors kept performing CPR on Nala's lifeless body. Everyone was losing hope. Toto and Susie stood to the side of the room, wrapped in eachothers arms and crying, and Ollie and Lando still stood in the doorway, frozen to the spot. The scene was terrifying for them.

After around ten minutes, everyone was nearly ready to give up. The doctors were fatigued from registering the CRP, taking it in turns so they could do it for longer. But there were no signs of Nala coming back. Ollie started to cry into his hand, as quiet as he possibly could. But he just couldn't do it. His cry was one of those when someone's heart just shatters and they can't help but become a wreck. Lando started to cry to, sniffling and trying to wipe away the tears, but they just kept coming.

But then something happened that made everyone look up. The faint beeping of the monitor sounded, and suddenly all the hospital staff were rushing around manically. Ollie's breath stuttered as he realised Nala had a faint pulse again. She was back. For the meantime. He and Lando moved more inside the room to let the doctors and nurses in and out.

Soon, Nala was connected to what seemed like a million machines, but she had a steady heartbeat once again. Everyone was incredibly relieved.
"Ok, so we are going to be putting her into a coma for a few days. Hopefully, this will fully stabilise her condition and she will wake up some time after", a doctor had announced to Toto, Susie, Ollie and Lando. They all nodded in understanding, but Toto quickly opened his mouth to say something.
"Will she able to drive again?", he asked softly. Ollie and Lando leaned in, eager to hear the answer and hoping it was a good one. The doctors faced dropped, and they all instantly knew the news he was going to give wasn't good.
"Sadly, it's almost impossible for her to be able to walk, let alone drive again. Her legs took a lot of the impact, we don't know how good they are now, and she is losing her strength rather quickly. And we still don't know how well her mind is functioning. We have to wait until she wakes up to see. So, I'm very sorry, but it's not likely at all. Just be glad she's back now. You could say she's lucky in an unlucky way", the doctor concluded, before walking out of the room and leaving the four others in shock.

Toto turned away, covering his face, but everyone could still hear his cries. He was crying for his daughter, his baby, because her dream was slipping away from her so easily after all her work. He was devastated for Nala.

~

"I'm sorry to say, but I think we are going to have to look into some replacements for Nala Cameron. Seeing as she is severely injured, we need to find someone to fill her spot temporarily, if not permanently if she doesn't get better", one of the Audi board members spoke up.
Mark's face dropped at the man's comment, but he knew it was true. Nala had been in a bad accident, and from what they'd been informed, she hadn't woken up yet. She obviously wouldn't be fit for the upcoming race, or a few after that maybe, so he knew they had to act on it. And fast. Who knows how long she would be gone for.

"Umm, great input, Dale. It's really hard right now with her gone, she's a big aspect of the team now, ya know? But yes, we will find someone. Any suggestions?", Mark asked around, his voice failing to convey his usual enthusiasm.

One of the board members, a younger woman, raised her hand slightly and looked down at the paper in front of her.
"The best candidates for our team would probably be Arthur Leclerc, Marcus Armstrong, Liam Lawson, Jack Doohan, Theo Pourchaire or Felipe Drugovich. They are all excellent drivers and can perform, but would also fit into our team dynamic nicely. An added bonus is that they all get along with Ollie", the lady said. Mark nodded along to her inquiry, rather interested. They were all amazing drivers, he had to admit, and anyone could see it clear as day. He just didn't want to let Nala go. Even if it was temporary. She was an amazing racer, one of the best rookies he'd ever seen, but she also had the greatest personality and radiated goodness. And even though they hadn't known each other for very long, they'd formed a bond like family. Nala was like the daughter he'd never had. And right now, he really missed her.

~

Mark walked through the silent, bare halls of the hospital, looking around and wondering how on earth could people stand to be in here.

He walked up to the lady at the small reception desk, standing there for a moment before she finally looked up.
"Hi, what room is Nala Cameron in?", he asked politely. The lady then looked down at her computer, typing something into it before looking back up at him.
"No Nala Cameron here", she grunted with a thick German accent. Mark asked her to check again, but the answer was the same. No Nala Cameron. Confused, he stepped back and walked to the side of the room, taking his phone out and dialing a number.

"Ollie, hey! Listen, do you know what room number Nala's in. Just thought I'd pay her a visit, but they say she's not here or something", he said. There was a short silence on the other end, then a sigh.
"I'll come get you. Hold tight", Ollie said, before then hanging up.

When Ollie got there, he was greeted by Mark and his confused expression. Ollie quickly took his arm and led him through a doorway and down some halls. When Mark tried to ask questions, Ollie just shushed him quiet, making sure he didn't talk while they were walking. But finally Mark had enough and continued with his question.

"Ollie, stop. Why did they say there was no Nala Cameron, yet she's obviously here", Mark asked, a slightly annoyed tone in his voice.
"Because...she's not a Cameron, Mark. She's a Wolff", Ollie forced out. Mark was confused for a moment, trying to take in what he just said.
"What do you me-"
"I mean like Toto Wolff is her father", Ollie explained and Mark's mouth dropped.