Winner's Win

"Nala Cameron wins in Australia!"
"And she wins again in Imola!"
"Cameron wins in Spain!"

The year went on. Nala began winning a lot of races. Her points in the Championship started increased dramatically. But so did Verstappen's and Leclerc's. They were her rivals. Whenever she didn't win, they would. She was in front, having 342 points, with Leclerc in second with 312 and Verstappen third with 305 points. That was just past three quaters of the way through the season.

By the last race of the season, the points were even closer, Nala with 402, Leclerc with 397 and Verstappen with 395. Anyone could over take anyone at any minute. Nala was so close to her dream of becoming a World Champion, she could almost taste it. She needed this more than anything.

Nala lined up on the grid in pole position, Leclerc in second and Verstappen in third. The tense atmosphere made Nala's nerves worse than usual. At any point in time, she knew it could all be over. But she tried to put that past her as she lowered herself into the car, getting ready for the upcoming race. She quickly took deep breaths as her team disappeared from the side of the car and off the track. A moment later, she began the formation lap, constantly looking in her side mirrors to see the looming cars of Ferrari and Red Bull. She took her gaze away from them as she rounded the final corner of the slow lap and took her position on the grid. It was finally time. Nala's heart beat loudly, and she took a single deep breath before she saw the lights appear.

Five.
Four.
Three.
Two.
One.

"It's lights out and away we go!"
Nala sped off down the small straight toward the first corner, the whole grid close behind her. After a great exit from the corner, she sped off again, gaining a little bit of time on the others behind her. By the end of the first lap, Nala had put about 0.9 seconds on Leclerc behind her, determined to not let him near her. And that's what happened throughout the first 20 laps of the race.
"Box, box, Nala", said Alyssa calmly through the radio.
"Got it Lyss", Nala quickly replied back, checking her mirrors and seeing Charles about 70 metres behind her.
"Leclerc will be boxing as well this lap, so there is no need to stress", her track engineer added.

Nala quickly came into the pit lane, turning into the Audi space about halfway down the lane. She stopped, then waited for the signal to go. But she kept waiting. And then she saw Leclerc pass her.
"What the fuck is happening?!", she shouted in anger, and a moment later the light turned green and she sped off.
"They had the wrong set of tires, Nala", Alyssa told her. Nala's anger boiled as she got back out onto the track and sped up to full speed, now right down in P15.
"Ahhh! Shit!", she cried, trying to gain a place by going on the inside of Gasly. She was able to quickly gain that place, then had DRS to fly off down towards the next car.
"Just keep you head down, Nala. Just like that, keep trying to gain positions", Alyssa encouraged, her voice light as to not anger Nala more.

By lap 40, Nala was back in the top 3. Most cars had pitted, but she'd overtaken a few as well. Now it was Verstappen and Leclerc in front of her. The Ferrari and the Red Bull that had been challenging her all year, and could make or break her at any moment.

They got back to the first straight, Nala having DRS on Verstappen and gaining on him quickly. He fought against her as hard as he could. When the straight came to and end, he took the racing line and Nala went right up on the inside, taking his place from under his nose.

'Yes!', she thought to herself, 'You can do this! Come on!' The next few laps she spent trying to gain time on Leclerc, and slowly but steadily, she had caught him. It was now onto the last 2 laps, and she was giving it her all. If he won, she wouldn't have the championship, he would, by 2 points. So she needed to win. Every DRS she could, she tried to catch up, but he defended like his life depended on it. She couldn't get past him on the second last lap, so as they came to the very last lap, she gave it her everything. She caught up to him, on his tail the whole time, not even 1 meter away all the while. It came to the last set of corners, and she was still behind him. They took the second last right-hand turn, Nala right next to him, then the next she quickly made the move and took his place in first, crossing the line with tears streaming from her eyes.

"Nala Cameron, you are a WORLD CHAMPION!!", Alyssa shouted with joy. Nala had never felt so happy. She'd done it. She was a world champion for the first time and she was estatic.

"Nala, you are a World Champion for the first time! What do you have to say?", Jenson Button asked her, holding the microphone to her lips.

"Thank you, everyone! This means so much to me. I'd like to thank Mark and Ollie and Alyssa and Jaidyn and Marley for always being there, but also my amazing family, especially my parents, Susie and Toto Wolff", she announced. For a moment, it was like the whole world stopped for a moment, but then it erupted with cheers and Nala felt overjoyed. All if a sudden, she saw Toto running towards her with a big smile on his face. When he got to Nala, he wrapped his arms around his daughter tightly, not wanting to let her go. He was so happy.

"I'm so proud of you, Nala. I love you so much", he said, with a tear brimming from his eyes, which he quickly wiped away.

Up on the podium, Nala collected her trophy, holding up proudly as she looked over the thousands of people below her. She  had never felt more proud of herself. After the champagne shower, her, Max and Charles all stood up on the top step, getting a photo. When it was finished, Nala quickly shook Max's hand, congratulating eachother. But when she turned to Charles, she hugged him. He'd lost the championship in 1 corner. It must have destroyed him, and she could tell. He looked distraught. He rested his head on her shoulder because he was much taller than her, his arms wrapped around her as she comforted him.

"You did so amazing Charles, don't forget that. You're one of the best. You're the one I'm always striving to get because I know you're such a great driver. Don't forget that, use it to your own power, ok?", she whispered in his ear before leaving the podium.

When she got to the base, she felt arms wrap around her torso and lift her up and swirl her around. She instantly knew who it was.
"Ollie, I did it!", she cried happily, holding up the trophy and champagne bottle to show him. He put her down and she spun around. Ollie looked into Nala's eyes lovingly and pulled her closer by her waist. It sent butterflies all through her body.
"I know, bub. And I'm so, so proud of you!", he whispered, pulling her into a kiss.

She knew then that she had truly made it. Not only did she achieve her dream of becoming a World Champion that night, she also had the love of her life there with her as well.

THE END♡♡