Chapter 7

She didn't run.

Evangeliya remained in her apartment, not even fleeing the state. Leaving felt pointless. Perhaps it was better to see if Klaus came after her. He didn't. She found it odd.

It might have been her anger that held her back. She wanted so badly to kill Stefan Salvatore, and she knew he was still lurking around somewhere, perhaps all buddy-buddy with Klaus.

That turned out not to be the case.

"You survived," she said, impressed when Damon called her the next day.

"You are a bitch," said Damon, though his tone wasn't as fierce as it used to be. He could still insult her but it seemed that finally, he understood how much power she had over him.

"Tell me, what was it like?" she asked sweetly. "How bad did it hit you? Considering you got better so quickly, you died sometime last night. Did you decide to do it yourself, or did you have help?"

"For your information, Elena asked Bonnie to snap my neck when Ric blabbed about my hallucinations."

"Good. Now, we're even... for the meantime. What do you need? Why did you call?"

"You're about to get even angrier. Stefan stole Klaus's coffins. He came and confronted Elena and I, asking we get him to give them back."

Evangeliya cursed loudly, setting the phone down to grab her pillow and scream into it. "Кучи син!" she snapped. (T: Son of a bitch!) "Why is he poking a bear when we now have no way of killing the fucking bear?! Тази малка шибана кучка. Глупав малко момче." (T: That little fucking bitch. Stupid little boy.)

"I don't know what the hell Stefan is doing anymore," said Damon honestly.

"Well, we need to get him to give those coffins back!"

"Good luck with that."

"I will find him myself and get those coffins and hand them over to Klaus and beg for mercy if that's what it takes."

"And what's to stop Klaus from killing you?"

"Nothing! I'm starting to think I don't care. I can't bring myself to leave here. And miraculously Klaus hasn't come after me but he will, I know he will, perhaps the only reason he hasn't is because he's more worried about the coffins. Perhaps he will grant me my freedom if I give them back, if I apologize, if I offer my resources, my help being a spy, anything so that he will let me go and allow me to keep my life after what I've done. It is a long shot and I would not fully escape his control but at least I would be free of worry of being hunted! And if I die trying then at least I know I did everything in my power to stop him and that I fought until the very end. There is no point to Stefan keeping the coffins if he cannot use them to lure Klaus into a trap and kill him. He is betting Klaus will not hurt them because they were friends but that is a stupid assumption to make. It might not be so."

"Just sit tight," said Damon. "I'll get him to give them back."

"No! I'm going to find him, I'm going to kill him, and I'm going to give them back to Klaus myself!"

"And how's it going to look to Klaus if you kill his best buddy? You might be right, he might still think of Stefan as a friend and that's why he hasn't killed him. If you kill Stefan to bring his family back, it could work, but it also couldn't, and then my brother would be dead, and no matter what he's done, I don't want him dead."

"You have a day, Damon. And then, I will hunt him and those coffins down."

She started her search before the day was over. Damon updated her throughout, oblivious to how she snuck about town, trying to see where Stefan was. He'd seemingly vanished.