Chapter 42

A/N: There aren't many chapters left of this story (and I am eager to finish it!) so I wanted to announce that the idea I had for what angst will happen in Season 3 is greatly attributed to Phygers on AO3!! Thank you so much for the inspiration that led me to have motivation for this story again. Some of you may not be satisfied with it but I like how it may be carried out. It's really tough to write when I know the ending will be happy; angst is much more my forte. I am anxious to continue on with my planned stories and soon close up on the TVDU fandom!

-

They had a few months of peace before it all fell apart again.

At first, everything seemed to be fine.

Bulgaria was as pleasant as it had been the last time they'd lived there. It was even better than before considering Elijah and Evangeliya were there as partners this time, truly in love with one another and sharing a comfortable flat.

They took turns cooking every day, trained at the nearest gym and walked every evening. And Evangeliya had to admit she liked how most nights seemed to end: dancing, drinking, holding one another, and occasionally, the sexual release she shamelessly yearned for.

She noticed Elijah was much more comfortable asking for it, or just implying that he was in the mood. She remembered when they'd first reunited, he couldn't even bring himself to express his desires even though he felt them. Elijah without boundaries, with no worries about letting the animal within be unleashed, was the kind of Elijah she liked.

They were in their own world, happy with each other and hardly thinking of New Orleans, save for the daily updates from Hayley. Klaus, of course, would likely never forgive Elijah for having daggered him despite the fact that a) he'd done it to his other siblings countless times, b) it had been an appropriate response for his offense (considering he'd done it to his brothers before for a mere difference of opinion), and c) it had led to Dahlia's efficient defeat.

"My brother will never comprehend that most of his troubles are of his own making," sighed Elijah as she ran her fingers through his hair. "All we've ever asked is that he work with us, that he communicate, that he be respectful. He could not respect anyone who attempted to help, refused to be cooperative, refused to tell us what his plans were. The business with the ashes was ridiculous, even for him."

"Admittedly," said Evangeliya, "that time it took allowed us to figure out that Freya's blood wasn't the solution. Or, at least, led Finn to really figure it out. Still, would have been nice if he didn't hide one of the ingredients from us. Painting with ashes, really, your brother almost makes me laugh sometimes."

He glanced up at her. "I need to tell you something."

"This sounds quite serious. What's wrong, my love?"

"Niklaus has invited us back to New Orleans."

"All of us? Aren't the others– save Freya and Finn– all vacationing? Last I heard, Lucy and Rebekah were tending to a horribly sunburnt Kol after that week in Cancún. Your sister is enjoying her witch body and Finn has never been happier, what with Freya astral projecting every day from New Orleans where she's apparently right at home in the clubbing scene. Everyone's doing so well. Is he really calling everyone away from it? Is he... lonely?"

"Not them, just us," clarified Elijah. "Though, I take it they will soon be brought back. Hope's first birthday is approaching. I believe my brother intends to celebrate. We have been invited first, I gather, due to pressure from Hayley to make amends." He made a face, "And he is lonely. Texts are insufficient despite how upset he is with us."

"It's probably made worse by the fact we daggered him, defeated Dahlia, then all went our separate ways. Except Freya, I suppose, but still." She pursed her lips, "Do you wish to go?"