Chapter 9

She found Finn next.

There was nothing to do yet. The alcohol being served was good, but drinking alone wasn't appealing. She knew no one, and it seemed the majority of the attendees were the citizens of Mystic Falls. She realized in hindsight she should have brought Lucy as her plus one. Maybe set her up with Kol. She made sure to text her about the party, hoping she might be able to join her at some point.

She located Finn soon enough by the bar, looking severely out of place. He'd cleaned up nicely from when she saw him in the coffin. His hair was cut and she had to admit he looked much more handsome this way.

"Good evening," she said cordially, extending her hand. "Evangeliya Ivanova."

"Ah, yes," he said, greeting her. "Elijah told us about you. It is good to meet you. I've heard great things."

"I've heard some good things about you, too. You are the most moral of all your siblings. Many vampires in several circles admire you greatly for it, including myself."

He raised a brow. "Is that so?"

"It is." She cleared her throat awkwardly when he didn't reply, only scanned over her face as if thinking she was lying, but soon realizing she was being truthful. "You've adapted quickly. I like your hair."

He chuckled lightly. "Hired hairdressers to prepare for the ball. As for the clothes, the language, and the social aspects, Kol and Rebekah can be quite helpful if one does not stop them from talking."

"Younger siblings, huh?" She motioned for the bartender to refill her drink. "Sometimes they are your best friends, other times, they're your worst enemies."

He snorted. "A true statement. Have you siblings?"

"I had three sisters. Not anymore."

"Forgive me. I realize that it was an inappropriate question considering what I heard my brother did to your family."

"You couldn't have known how many sisters I had from it, it's perfectly alright."

"I am very sorry for what you had to endure at Niklaus's hands."

"You couldn't have stopped it. Not even Elijah knew."

"And for that, he is a fool. How he could have allowed him to go around unchecked... it sickens me. You did not deserve any of it. You are a strong woman. But I imagine you would have preferred not to have to be strong."

"That's right," she admitted. "I would have just liked to be safe. I think you and I can relate there."

His eyes flickered away, as if he agreed, but didn't wish to discuss it. "Excuse me, I have just seen Elena Gilbert. I will greet her, on behalf of my mother."

"Sure," said Evangeliya, tilting her head and observing him.

She liked Finn, that much was certain. Kol seemed nice, too, but he seemed like the kind of person one only built sexual tension with and teased relentlessly for fun but never actually did anything with, lest the excitement fade. Elijah was probably right about Kol being more similar to Klaus, and if that was so, she didn't want to sleep with someone like that no matter how interested she might be. Kol could perhaps be a friend some day. An ally. But she didn't see herself going further in any way, for her own safety.

Her eyes caught sight of Klaus in the ballroom, talking with Caroline, who didn't seem happy to be near him. Had he really invited her? Strange. Perhaps he really was growing soft. Perhaps that was why he'd let her have her freedom. Caroline could be the one she needed to thank for it.

She listened in on Finn and Elena's conversation out of curiosity once she heard the doppelgänger's voice, catching as Finn said, "Her request did not include her friends." Two seconds later, she realized Damon and Stefan had now arrived.