Chapter 44

She was confined to her room.

Klaus had come to see Alexis, which meant Evangeliya was shoved into her room, angry and filled with hate and unable to hear anything that was being said.

She had things to do, anyway. Lucien's compulsion put her right to work on coordinating the search for the Serratura and the mobilization of all his wolf captives to a new facility. She dealt with the captives first, the easiest part of her task.

He'd made sure to compel her to think that what he was doing was right, that the wolves deserved to be used for a greater purpose. And unfortunately due to the fact she'd never really been a fan of werewolves and only tolerated the Crescent Pack by way of more-or-less pleasant experiences, she believed it so firmly that no amount of thinking could lead to her making a single effort in improving their conditions. Though, it did make her curious as to what he needed them for.

"Well, it seems word of your condition has spread," said Lucien once Klaus was gone, throwing the door open and raising his eyebrows when he found Evangeliya boredly attempting a handstand. Her laptop was closed and in his eyes, no work had been done at all. That was far from the truth.

"My condition?" She sprang back up. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, everyone in the family knows Elijah was daggered, they know Klaus put you in another body, and today, Klaus became aware that Rosanna– ie, you– is dead. It appears the dagger is in the hands of the Bennett witch now."

She shrugged. "So maybe we'll steal it and use it somehow." Maybe if Lucien is the one to dagger him, he'll die and I'll be free of both of them. I never hated Lucien before but I'm starting to now.

He led her out into the main room, where a journalist sat in a chair, bleeding. Lucien wiped some blood off of her neck, "Hmm. What's your progress on the Serratura? I take it by the handstands you've either been successful or didn't do what I asked at all."

She stared at him, unable to help but blurt out, "I'm not incompetent. The wolves have been moved and I've also found out that some of your poachers didn't complete their check-in. Either someone has finally begun to retaliate against their offenses or you have a couple of deserters. I already sent one of your sirelings to track them in the Bayou."

She moved closer at his beckoning, "As for the Serratura, I know certainly it is already within this city. One of your witches told me its particular magical signature is in New Orleans. She also told me something interesting. That, despite the fact that the bloodline of the witch who made it still lives, it is recorded to have inexplicably gone missing quite a while back. I did some digging and it seems it coincides with when the O'Connell family arrived in New Orleans and began dealing with supernatural affairs, including their seizure and cataloging of many dark objects. However, I've not heard of such a thing existing in Cami's store of magical items. Lucy and Kol have seen many of the things she has and though I haven't seen it myself, I'm sure something as remarkable as the Serratura would have been memorable for them. So my theory– and your witch believes it could be true– is that the family who made it may have caused it go missing in the first place. Hidden it in plain sight. Either used it already or stored it within another object."

"Good. I'll still get someone to–"

"Already done. I have a sireling looking to find out its exact measurements. You have boxes upon boxes of magical items already. We can search anything that could reasonably fit the Serratura within it and at least rule out what you have in your possession before we search the rest of the city."

"In that case, the only thing that needs to be done is a seizure and search of Camille O'Connell's collection. I'll get to compelling the police department first thing in the morning." He tapped Evangeliya's shoulder, "And no warning her, love. I know she is your friend but you ought not forget how much Nik cares for her. She can be used against him. In fact, you ought to forget that Cami has any connection to the Serratura at all. Good girl."