Chapter 30

Elijah and Klaus were at odds.

What else was new? Evangeliya and Lucy freed themselves of the sound of Klaus's whining while he looked for the grimoire Elijah hid, opting to spend the day in the Bayou where Hayley was undergoing labor preparations with Eve.

"That's it," praised Eve as she followed her breathing techniques. "Inhale and release."

"I guess this means no epidural, huh?" muttered Hayley as she sat up. "You sure I can't do this thing in, say, a hospital? The place with the doctors and the drugs?"

Eve smirked. "Honey, the werewolves have been having babies out here since before you were born. Stop worrying."

"Still, the conditions are not fit for a newborn," said Evangeliya, trying to hide her disgust when she saw a beetle on the porch. "Even in 1490, when no one knew all the wondrous things that doctors do now, women would rather die than give birth anywhere other than a comfortable bed."

"Not helping," said Lucy with a giggle.

"Trust me," said Eve, "it'll be fine! You'll have us, all the comfort you could need, and your baby will be born right where you were."

"And then what? I don't even know what it's like to have a mother, let alone be one."

"When the time comes, you'll know exactly what to do."

"I hope so. As fun as it is to imagine Klaus changing dirty diapers, I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing this alone."

Eve quirked a brow. "I somehow doubt that. He comes to watch you, you know. Even if he doesn't say anything. Thinks we don't see him, but we do. And even if the Original Hybrid isn't brave enough to change a diaper, you've got us."

"Yes," agreed Lucy. "I've never changed a diaper but I can learn how. Can't be that bad, right?"

"Not in this day and age," said Evangeliya. "You can just grab a new one from a box and it sticks automatically. We used cloths and pins and we had to wash them by hand."

There was a knock on the doorframe. "Pardon the interruption," said Elijah with a small smile. "I wonder if I might have a quick word with the conspirators of a supposed uprising. Where might I find Jackson and Oliver?"

Hayley reached out to Lucy to help get on her feet. "Come on, we'll show you."

They met in one of the other cabins, both male wolves stunned to find out Elijah now knew about their plan with Klaus, apparently to procure and fabricate moonlight rings for the entire Crescent Wolf Pack.

"You're making a grave mistake," warned Elijah.

"So, you're just worried about us," said Oliver snarkily. "Is that it?"

"Look, Elijah," Jackson cut in, "We know all about your brother's reputation, but if there is even a chance that these rings can help us take control of our curse–"

"–our gift," Oliver interrupted

"–then honestly, we don't care what he's really after. Won't have to."

"You should," said Evangeliya realistically. "Because he will collect on what he will perceive to be a major debt. Sure, he says he's helping his kin but he wants your loyalty and once he thinks he has it, he will make you do whatever he wants and threaten to take away the rings if you don't comply. You'd basically be given a leash."

"Additionally," said Elijah, "we are vying for peace in the city, something made much more difficult by other species refusing to see the wolf community as anything other than barbaric. There are those in the Quarter who will consider this a great provocation."