Chapter 29

Dress shopping was fun.

Hayley joined them, the three trying on different outfits on one of the Bourbon Street shops until they found something that was to their liking.

The wolf selected a shimmering blue evening dress that fit comfortably over her bump. The witch a purple off-the-shoulder ball gown with a slit going up to her mid-thigh, and the vampire a black dress that had an open back with just as generous of a slit. The three were smiling as they walked out with their bags in hand, hoping that in their absence, the Compound had been fixed up nicely.

The fountain was lit on fire, a dim lilac light cast over with lights hanging from the balconies. A hired DJ had set up beside the caterers who were preparing the trays of finger food and the wide variety of alcoholic drinks to be served. It dawned on Evangeliya that they should have eaten a proper meal.

"The way you throw all this together in an hour is insane to me," said Evangeliya, leaning onto Elijah while Lucy and Hayley went to get ready.

He beamed. "It comes with age. Will you save me a dance?"

"Funny, I was going to ask you the same thing. It's a date."

Once the guests began to arrive, the three women made their way down and began to mingle. Hayley immediately greeted the wolves as Jackson led them in, all men and with suits Evangeliya wasn't sure they'd owned previously. The witches entered next, and Lucy made quick work of offering some non-alcoholic drinks to the Harvest girls, paying particular attention to Davina, who seemed to feel very out of place.

"You're with me tonight," Evangeliya said when she saw Diego scowling at the wolves.

"I don't need a babysitter," he said sharply. Right as two of the wolves passed by him, he bumped into Jackson, immediately bringing his friend, Oliver, to his defense. "What's up, little man?"

"Ouch," said Evangeliya, sticking her leg out between them. "You two ought not forget I can tear out your spines with ease. Play nice."

Jackson tapped Oliver's shoulders. "Come on, he's not even worth it."

As soon as they were gone, Evangeliya raised a brow at Diego. "Did you have to do that?"

"His people killed my whole family," said Diego coldly. "My sister bled out on the floor right next to me. The only reason I'm standing here is because Marcel came along and turned me before I bled out, too. So, I'm telling you right now– I cannot be polite and welcoming to that."

"I understand," said Evangeliya. "I also understand that he and his family have suffered for decades as a result of your community. They lost the ability to have normal lives, too. They have ever reason to not want to be polite and welcoming to you, either. Nobody expects you to be best buds. But some respect on both ends will be nice. It won't happen overnight but with time you'll learn to live with them in peace, as I did. The wolves who killed your family died a long time ago. It doesn't make it right nor does it undo your pain but how will you achieve peace if you hold onto something and blame them for an act they didn't commit?"

He scowled. "Easy for you to say."

"Why? Because you think I haven't had problems with werewolves? I assure you, I have. I lost friends to them, I've had to hide from them. I'm not their biggest fan and I prefer to keep my distance but they are people, too, who have had their troubles just like us. And I do want to try and learn more about them, to hear their side of things. They want peace as much as we do. They want all this fighting to be over because no one enjoys war, no one enjoys all this struggle to survive and not being sure who you'll lose each day. I don't want to leave this city a mess when Hayley's baby is born. So, I will try to make peace, as will they, and everything will be fine. Jackson strikes me as a firm leader, he won't let his wolves get out of line. And your duty will be to do the same with your vampires. If you don't think you're up for the task, you ought to let me know now."