Chapter 27

Something had changed.

The next afternoon, Rebekah came with news from the witch community. Monique Deveraux had risen from the dead, literally exploding from her grave as Sabine gave a tour of the city of the dead.

"The tourists thought it was part of the show," said the blonde, speaking to all after the Original brothers and Marcel returned from mass, having attended Father Kieran's first service in St. Anne's since the massacre. "The witches are celebrating like it's some kind of bloody miracle."

"Maybe it is," said Marcel. "They think that all hope is lost, but now suddenly a Harvest girl is resurrected. Nandi was right. This is how we're gonna get Davina back. We kill the witch who took her place."

"I have a theory about who one of them could be," offered Hayley. "Céleste. I mean, it's got to be. Davina was trying to tell us, she was drawing pictures of Céleste. She was warning us that a great evil is coming."

Klaus rolled his eyes. "First, Papa Tunde returns to settle old scores," he waved at Elijah, "now your murdered lover is back. The witch was right about another thing. The witches are declaring war on us."

"So we put them down," said Evangeliya, phone beginning to buzz. "Excuse me, I have to see Cami."

"What for?" demanded Klaus.

"I don't know, but since the attack at Rousseau's, she's had my number and known a bit more about who I am, so I'm guessing she may need some help. I'm not going to leave her hanging."

Cami asked to meet at the church.

"Odd place for a meeting," said Evangeliya, sitting beside her on the pew. "Everything alright?"

The blonde stared ahead at the sacristy, a far-away look in her eyes. One of anguish that Evangeliya recognized all too well. "No. That knife you have..." she eyed where the bone blade was tucked on Evangeliya's hip. "It's special."

"It is. What do you know about it?"

Cami chewed her lip. "I saw what it did. I knew it was bad. Today... um..." she seemed to be trying not to cry, "One of the witches who died all those months ago when the Harvest went wrong, Bastianna, she came back. She cursed my uncle and when he told me, this other woman, another witch, she said that she would heal him if... if I got that blade and made sure to stick it in Klaus's heart. It was implied I could also convince you to do it. She said it would cause untold pain and torment, even to an Original."

"And you chose to tell me?"

"I know you offered to get Josh out of New Orleans, and I've heard you have witch contacts in other states. I-I can't bring myself to try and manipulate you into something that could get you hurt and I definitely couldn't take it and stab Klaus myself, no matter how angry he makes me. If there's a war going on, I wanna be on the winning side. And that isn't the witches. So... I'm hoping you can help me. See if my uncle can be healed or if he can at least be taken away safely."

Evangeliya cast her a sympathetic look. "Of course, I'll do my best. Have him meet us here. I'll call my friend when he's ready."

When Kieran arrived, Evangeliya FaceTimed Lucy.

"That is one nasty hex," said Lucy, observing the 'X' on Kieran's hand. "Do you remember the incantation that was used?"

"I-I think so," said Kieran. "Something... torsion... mort... esprit. Does that mean what I assume it does? Death of the spirit?"

"Most likely. I'm going to be honest with you... based on my knowledge, hexes on this can't be cured, not even by the witch who cast them. They're supposed to take root instantly, it's like a one-and-done deal, an all-or-nothing kind of spell. It's meant to be dark, it's not meant to be taken back. Considering what I know about your interference with the Harvest ritual, I have good reason to believe that witch lied to Cami. They weren't planning to heal Kieran but they needed to try and get the blade from Evangeliya to use on Klaus anyway. Kieran would have still died but Cami would have been a tool to get them what they needed. They still want him dead for what they perceive as his betrayal or meddling in what wasn't his business."