Chapter 19

Elijah was the first person she told.

"That is impossible," he said, pale as she summarized the days' events for him. "Marcel was killed by our father. I remember it."

"Did you actually see him die?" asked Evangeliya. When he didn't respond, she continued, "Didn't think so. Don't know how or why but it's definitely true. Klaus is in for a surprise when he gets back to New Orleans."

"Then I must join him at once," said Elijah, already pulling out his phone to let his brother know. "He will not be made to face this alone."

Evangeliya cast him a worried look. "Just make sure you don't hurt yourself in trying to help him, Elijah. Is this really the right choice? Can't he do this alone?"

"He could," mused Elijah. "But he shouldn't have to. With Marcel died the last shred of my brother's humanity, something Rebekah and I have only noticed re-emerging since he began to flirt with Caroline Forbes. Additionally, what you mention about the witches whispering his name concerns me. I wish to know if they intend to make a move against my brother. If Marcel intends to make a move against him."

"Right," she murmured. "You attack one, you attack them all. What are you going to tell Rebekah?"

"What you've told me and nothing more. I don't anticipate she'll wish to join me... as I suspect you will not want to, either."

"This is only going to be a quick trip, right?" said Evangeliya. "You'll come back when you're ready?"

"That is the plan," he promised. "As soon as I ensure Niklaus has settled in and that there are no problems in the city of New Orleans, I will come back. He can enjoy his time there alone. But until I confirm that my brother is safe in a city he once loved... I will be gone."

Evangeliya nodded. "Then I'll be here. And if Rebekah doesn't want to go, I'll keep her company, if she wants me to. I don't anticipate Katherine will be here much longer; she wishes to be with Nadia and they will likely move elsewhere. When you come back... I'll be waiting for you."

He reached out to cup her face, a touch so tender that Evangeliya's heart fluttered. "Thank you. For finding out about New Orleans and for your kindness."

"You're welcome," she said, almost shyly. Why did he make her feel shy?

She and Rebekah drove him to the airport before returning to Evangeliya's apartment, where she made the mekitsas she'd promised her. It seemed Rebekah was much more comfortable hanging out with Evangeliya alone than with her brother, or with both of them.

"I don't wish to think about it for another instant," she said, shivering at the thought of having slept with Katherine's daughter. "Though it reminds me how fun it is to just be with a girlfriend, roaming around the city, not a care in the world. Elijah says you know all the best clubs."

"I do," admitted Evangeliya. "We could hit a few tonight, if you want. Though, you don't have to feel like you have to drag me around to appease Elijah."

"Funny, I was going to say the same thing."

"I offered– despite knowing you can take care of yourself– because I know he's worried about Klaus and will also be worried leaving you behind. But I know you like your solitude and that I'm not exactly your favorite person."

Rebekah eyed her. "Yes, I'm unhappy you killed Stefan. I rather liked him. And yes, I'm unhappy you allowed that Hunter to use the cure on Silas. But I do not despise you, Evangeliya. Elijah cares for you and even Nik admires you for how you avenged our fallen brothers. That matters more than my resentment. Us girls have got to look out for each other, you know. And considering you may very well become part of the family some day, I've made up my mind to grow accustomed to your presence. You've never been obnoxious like Katherine and you certainly are more fun in the sense you understand my desire to party and, out of all vampires, seem to be the only one tender enough to relate to my wish of being a mother."