Chapter 41

The weapons had been selected.

"This should be the best out of the lot of them," said Kol, offering Lucy a spear to hold. "The best to wield for battle."

"What's this?" asked Evangeliya, noticing a small pile of strange-looking bracelets. In reality, they resembled shoelaces more than they did something you wanted wrapped around your wrist.

"My idea," chirped Lucy. "To combat her ability to summon it. You know how Wii controllers have those wristbands so it doesn't fly out of your hand when you're playing? This is going to do something similar. We'll make them really long but tight around the wrist so that they can remain attached. I'll spell them so she won't easily be able to break the ties. With the spears that won't really work if you try to throw them– you'd end up throwing yourself– but for things like swords and staffs, I think this could be really useful."

Evangeliya raised her eyebrows. "Innovative. I like it." She lifted one of the swords. "I think I'll take this one. The sword was one of the first weapons I learned how to use. I'll be most comfortable with it."

"How good are you at shooting?" asked Kol. "I've acquired some dart guns and filled them all with lobelia flower, and I've got a set of bow and arrows just itching to be used."

"Elijah's the best at shooting bows and arrows. I'm good with guns; I think I can handle the darts. Maybe something with real bullets? It may not kill her but it should weaken her."

"Could work. I don't believe we have a real gun in here."

"No problem, then, I'll get one my–"

Lucy reached into her purse, placing the gun in Evangeliya's hands. "There you go."

Kol smirked. "Why am I not surprised that you have that?"

"The bullets are seeped in vervain, and they're wooden," she noted. "I always carry it when in a city filled with vampires. But they work just fine on someone not affected by vervain or wood. Never really had to use it until now. I'll take the darts."

They made the swap. "So, then, do we have the other ingredients?" asked Evangeliya.

Lucy shook her head. "Klaus hid Mikael's ashes. Elijah's trying to get them from him right now."

"Well, that sounds like something Klaus would do. How are we on dark objects?"

Kol rubbed his hands together, a malicious grin on his face, so familiar despite the fact he was in a different body. Some things never changed. "I asked Davina to help open my old playhouse, the Claire Tomb, and then had her retrieve some from Camille O'Connell's storage. I will get the rest back someday, if Nik ever stops fancying her so much... these will do for now. The Devil's Star, to induce a thousand cuts. The Cursed Shackles... if we could get those on her, it would be a suitable buffer. Unfortunately, I had Freya test them out and she can break them with enough anger; Dahlia will do it even sooner. Still, a few valuable seconds... We've got Papa Tunde's blade again; I figured you'd like to have it," he tossed it to her, and she gratefully strapped it to her belt.

"These bracelets–" he clicked two beaded loops together, revealing they were magnetic, "will bind to anything exhibiting dark magic. Considering Dahlia herself is a hotspot of chaos, it should stick. And once it does, well..." he tossed it at Papa Tunde's blade, causing Evangeliya to yelp as a shock ran through her body.

"Imagine what it'll do to her," said Lucy with an evil grin. "I named them Lightning and Bolt. Plus they're cute to wear when not being made to be weapons. Last but not least, something we made quite recently..." she removed from her inner jacket pocket a golden blade.