xii.

The stars are proof That even on the darkest nightThere is still a little light

The stars are proof
That even on the darkest night
There is still a little light.
-d.j

RHAGE WAS MISSING, Lynn's wolf had been unsettled, whining for her mate, but Lynn shook her off, they were going to kill her anyway. There was no point in worrying about where she went.

She was lying to herself. They hadn't spent hardly anytime with Rhage but the mate bond was hard to resist. Her inner turmoil was like a tornado, confusing her and making her wonder what the point was of all this.

If she killed Rhage, then Oscar would have no more reason to raid the packs in search of her, Lynn wouldnt have to worry about Ember anymore. She would be free to protect herself and her pack.

But, Alpha Marcus was already preparing for war, as Lynn stared down at the papers on her desk everything went blurry. Frustrated tears blurred her vision, war was happening if she killed Rhage or not. So, why was she fighting so hard not to chase after the other half of her soul?

"Hello," Ember's singsong voice echoed off the large bookshelves. Lynn winced, if Ember was trying to come off friendly, she miserably failed, something about her was just overall creepy.

"What the fuck do you want Ember," Lynn spat, letting her frustrations loose on the child.

Ember faked a shocked expression but it didnt mask the mischief that sparkled in her eyes. "That's no way to treat someone who's just here to help!"

Lynn sat back in her arm chair, tapping her fingers on the dark oak of her desk. She thought about just killing the girl, I mean why not just go all out. She didn't, instead she just motioned for Ember to speak.

"I have the little Moonwolf," Ember held her hand up before Lynn could interrupt. "Let's play a game, a bet perhaps? If you can find her, I'll tell you where my father is." A large toothy grin stretched across her pale face, "Little miss Rhage is somewhere on this very land, under your nose if you will."

"And if I dont find her? What's in it for you?" Lynn's heart was pounding in her chest, anticipation and anxiety beating their drums.

Ember twirled, her red curls swaying, her eyes gleaming with mischief. Clicking her tongue she taunted Lynn, pretending that she was thinking long and hard in the answer. The silence hung heavy in the air between the two. "If you cant find her, then I get to rip her heart out. Sounds fair. I know you changed you mind about killing her yourself." Ember trailed her hand across the shelves.

Lynn bit her cheek and sighed. "I would kill her. But I dont see the point in it anymore. This is all been a long drawn out battle that has never been mine to fight, and now it definitely isnt. It's up to Alpha Marcus to finish this mess, not me." She wasn't lying, she only struck a deal with Oscar to keep her pack safe from his rogues, but it's not her pack anymore and she wasn't quite sure she wanted it to be anymore.