xix.

The moon smiledThe sun twinkled,but both were enviousof your stardust soul

The moon smiled
The sun twinkled,
but both were envious
of your stardust soul.
-perry

SEER FELT HER HEART STOP, she didn't realize she was screaming until her throat started to burn. Her knees slammed down on the stone, feeling its chill creep into her body. Her shaking hands clasped around her mouth to muffle her cries.

She watched as Lynn ran to her sister, pulling Rhage into her chest. Lynn turned to Seer, the womans green eyes full of relief. "She's alive Seer, she's alive." A shudder ripped through the girl. The familiar ache behind her eyes came with such a force it knocked her back.

She went blind for a moment, before blurred images flashed before her eyes. A man being ripped to shreds, wolves howling. It felt foggy, like someone else's memory. Then new images, similar but less personal, hundreds of wolves fighting, their growls and snarls echoed through her mind. Her vision cleared and her neck loosened from its rigid position.

"Seer? Seer we have to go, we have to get her help." Lynn was shouting, her hand gripping Seer's shoulder, she had Rhage leaning on her side. The burns that trailed Lynn's arms were red and angry. Seer licked her lips still in a daze from the visions, trying to puzzle the pieces together before standing, helping Lynn hold up her sister.

Her heart was pounding in her chest, like when she and Dianthe escaped BloodMoon. Something was wrong. She cast her eyes to her sisters limp frame, gritting her teeth, if they didnt leave Rhage would die. But every bone in Seer's body was screaming at her not to go through the hole in the wall they had broken into. She tried to force herself to take a step closer, but she couldnt, the feeling intensified, churning her stomach.

"Something's wrong. We can't. I cant explain it, but we will die if we leave." She hoped that her words and fearful expression would convince Lynn, but the older woman looked down at Rhage, then back to Seer, her lips set in a thin line.

"We're going to have to risk it, she needs help." As if on que Rhage groaned her head lulling to the side. Seer adjusted her hold on her and looked to Lynn.

"I know you just met me, I know you dont know me well, but you have to trust me. We cant go out there," Seer wanted to scream the words at her, to make her understand, but all she could manage was a whisper.

Lynn grimaced, and helped Seer gently prop Rhage up onto the wall. "Fine, I'll go, if I'm not back soon, it means you were right. I'll have the pack medics find you. I swear it." She placed a hand on her heart to emphasize her oath, before turning and hauling her lengthy figure out of opening.

Seer felt sick watching her go, realizing that she might have watched her sisters mate head into death. But that screaming in her head seemed to dissipate. Rhage's complexion was getting paler than Seer thought possible, she reached out a hand a pulled up her sister's blood soaked shirt. The wound was small but barely noticeable under the dark blood that covered Rhage's midsection. Ember had stabbed her right under her ribs. Seer prayed to the goddess that it missed anything important.

The seconds ticked by, as Seer put pressure on the wound, waiting and hoping that Lynn would return with help. Rhage's ragged breaths had Seer wondering if she made the right choice, maybe there was nothing out there and Rhage would already been taken care of by medics and doctors. Silent salty tears cascaded, like rain on a stormy night.

"If you werent so stubborn none of this would have happened!" Seer yelled at her sister. "I'm just a kid! I still need you," her voice broke, as she pulled back a bloodied hand to stifle her sobs.

"You should have never tried to leave. The goddess clearly wants us together." She growled resuming to put pressure on Rhage's injury, "and you can't die now!"

Goosebumps freckled her skin when a rush of power took over her, a gasp of shock left her lips as her palms emited a soft golden light like when she had shifted. A murmur escaped Rhage, as a purple hue enveloped her, the colors swirling off the pair, Seer watched in wonder as color came back to her sister, and her wound closed under her hand.

"The sun and moon, together at last." A soft, melodic voice echoed through the cellar, ringing in Seer's brain, Karma howled.

And then it was gone, and Rhage was looking at her with wide eyes. "Seer, what did you do?" Her voice wasnt hoarse like she'd expected, it was clear. Infact her sister looked healthier than ever.

"I don't know, I wanted to save you, so I did." She whispered back. Rhage looked bewildered, but she smiled at her young sibling, before pulling her into a hug.

"Of course you did," Rhage softly laughed into her sister golden hair, the once perfect braid now frazzled and tangled. "What happened to you?" She asked concerned.

Seer wanted to enjoy the moment a little longer before she paled at the question, "Ember took me, she gave me to Oscar." She cleared her throat and looked away from her sister, whose eyes were darkening with every word. "He said that I am his daughter, then put me with the slaves. I escaped," she looked back for a moment to smile, "with a new friend, Dianthe, I shifted too." She pulled back her shoulders in pride.

Rhage reached out a hand to push back Seer's untamed tendrils, "I shifted not to long after my fourteenth too you know?" Her hand rested on Seer's cheek softly caressing it.

Seer leaned in and grinned, "Guess were not as different as you thought," she jeered. Rhage scowled, "We are very different, I'm all dark and death and your all," she waved her hands to emphasize, "Life and love," she scolded.

Seer scoffed, rolling her eyes, before standing and pulling Rhage to her feet. Seer wrung her hands and looked away shamefully, "I may have forgot to mention a tiny," she held up her fingers to show, "tiny, little tidbit of important information," Rhage groaned in response.

"What now?" She growled already scowling. Seer smiled bashfully, "I may or may not have had a vision and really bad vibe and was too scared to leave so Lynn left and was supposed to return, and well didn't." She finished quieter than she started, and peered up through her hair to see Rhage already marching up to the wall.

"Hey, where are you going?" Seer reached out an arm to stop her, Rhage turned to look over her shoulder, violet shadowing over her normal blue eyes. "Saving my mate, obviously." She grinned fangs already sprouted through her gums.

"I'm coming too," Seer held up a hand to stop Rhage's complaints, "Look," she pointed to her calf, that once was mangled with scars. "I'm stronger now, and healthy, I can do this." Rhage looked uncertain, but Seer stepped closer.

"You can't stop me sis, I have a mate out there too."