xvii.

She and the moonCould always be foundPlaying in the darkness-A

She and the moon
Could always be found
Playing in the darkness
-A.J  Lawless

"YOU'RE A FOOL ALPHA," King slammed his hand on the door, preventing Lynn from leaving. She glared at him gritting her teeth, "I am no longer your Alpha, King." The man flared his nostrils in response. "The girl nearly went mad the day she met you, she's not worthy of being your mate. And she sure as hell isnt worth getting yourself killed! You've barely healed," King grabbed his leaders arm, attempting to pull her away from the door. Lynn shook his hand off, biting the inside of her cheek to not reveal a hiss of pain from the burns on her arms.

"Please, at least let us search for her, dont do this to yourself." He growled, glaring at the ceiling. "If your parents were here they would say the same." His eyes locked with hers. Lynn felt hot pain flare from his words, like he struck her with her grief, bringing up her late parents was a very low blow and he knew it. As she took a step towards her former Beta, opening her mouth to lash out, she heard a commotion outside.

"Where is she? Where is she!" Deep sorrowful wails, so loud the couldnt be buffered by the walls of the house, "Where is my sister!"

Lynn and King looked at each other, confusion and shock etched in their faces. Lynn opened the door to see a girl in Alpha Marcus' son's arms. They were on the ground as one of the Gamma's struggled to comfort the girl. Her face was stricken with grief, her cries pierced Lynn's ears like lightning.

"What's going on?" Lynn asked causing the Gamma to jump, it was Mason, one of hers. Mason fumbled for words, his face red with embarrassment. "I- I dont know Alpha, I went to update Finn on your mate and the girl-" Lynn raised a hand to stop the boy, this was Rhage's sister.

"Seer?" Lynn softly spoke, Finn was whispering to his mate, petting her golden hair.

"We ran as fast as we could, WinterMoon is on it's way, and RiverMoon isnt far behind, they've joined us." Finn said, not looking away from the girl who clung to his chest. Lynn swallowed, so this was it. She had no real reason to kill her mate, she didn't know why but it brought dread to her heart. "There's more, Seer was working with the slaves, she escaped with one, the Alpha of WinterMoon's daughter," Finn tore his eyes away from her sobbing mate to look at Lynn, her stomach dropped. "He's making wolfsbane weapons."

A crowd had gathered around them, and the second the boy spoke they erupted into gasps, murmuring to each other of the horrid thought. Wolfsbane, the wolf killer.

Lynn's head started to throb, she turned to head back into the house. She didn't know where she was going, only that she wanted to escape from the constant noise and think.

"Did you kill my sister?" A quiet trembling voice hushed the crowd into silence, if her cries were lightning this was the thunder. It stopped Lynn in her tracks, she looked over her shoulder and locked eyes with Seer. Her gem blue eyes identical to her older sister's, her stomach twisted. "No, she's alive, I just can't find her." Lynn's words were barely above a whisper, she couldnt look away from the young girl, possibly because she didnt want to face the gazes of the pack members she grew up with, to see their expressions to her words.

"Are you going to kill her? She isn't a monster, she's my big sister." The blue eyes swelled up with tears, darkening like a storm cloud. Deja-vu hit Lynn like a tidal wave, reminding her of the first time she had met her mate, and how she begged for Lynn to save Seer, and just kill her.

"No, I'm going to save her," Lynn mustered up a smile, "I think it's about time your sister was the one saved, instead of doing all the saving."

Seer's shocked face turned pained, Lynn watched as if in slow motion as the girls eyes turned white, her mouth parting. "Seer?" Finn's panicked voice echoed around them as he shook his mate. Her body was stiff like it had froze, just as Lynn began to walk toward them Seer inhaled, closing her eyes.

"The cellar, she's in a cellar." Seer blinked, looking up at Finn with a smile, "She's okay."

~~

Rhage had never felt so defeated. The pounding in her head was at an all time high, her wrists were bleeding from the constant pull. She had freed herself a while ago, but she couldnt bring herself to escape. Seer was safe, far away from here, and that was all that mattered.

Being alone in her head didnt bring her the euphoria she thought it would, her entire life she blamed Eclipse for her dark desires. But as she sat in the darkness, she still felt the thirst, it wrapped it's long fingers around her soul, blackening it with its touch.

She missed her wolf, never doubting her feelings, always being there, never judging. She would die here, she was certain, but without access to Ecliose to keep her company brought her grief she didnt even know possible.

Her eyes were closed, but she heard Ember appear, if she were in her right mind she would have wondered how the girl showed up out of thin air. Rhage under normal circumstances would have also killed the girl, but she had accepted her fate. She was ready to be free from the burdens of her past.

"Go ahead, my only regret is not being able to rip your father cold dead heart out of his chest." Rhage opened her eyes to see Ember slumped against the opposite wall. Her shoulder profusely bleeding, blood splattered on her cheek making her hair appear a darker shade of red. Rhage wanted to be shocked, but she felt numb.

They stared at each other for a long while, the silence was deafening before Rhage broke it. "What are you waiting for?" Ember didn't respond, she just stared at the woman, tapping her long pale finger on the stone floor.

To the right Rhage could hear wood breaking and stone falling, light filtered through the room blinding her. She lifted a hand to shield her face, and a second later Ember was right in front of her.

Only a breaths space between them, Ember grinned her teeth bloodstained. "Times up," the girls acrid stench burned Rhage's nose and mouth, time stopped, she could see Ember's fiery curls slick with blood as it brushed against her cheek. It was only seconds, but it could have been a lifetime, she didnt see the blade but she felt it tear into her abdomen. The feeling was akin to a bomb exploding inside of her, lighting every nerve on fire.

All she could hear was Ember's laugh as she disappeared leaving ash floating in the air, and a blood curdling scream before it all went black.