xv.

Set your life on fire.
Seek those who fan the flames
-rumi

THE WIND HOWLED blowing the scent Lynn was following, it scattered like marbles all over the landscape in front of the wolf. She growled in frustration, tossing her head side to side to shake off her growing anger. A full day had passed, her time was running short. She started to jog in the general direction she had been following, but she started to feel doubtful that she could complete this challenge.

The entire packlands was full of tall trees, the canopy of leaves casting shadows over the forest floor. The sun had just risen, leaving the grass dewy and the birds singing. The peaceful atmosphere only made Lynn's heart pound harder in her chest, where could Rhage be? Where could Ember have taken her.

Theres a possiblity that the conniving child lied, her mate could be dead, or not even on pack grounds. She couldnt find her scent anywhere. Only a faint trail of Ember's house fire musk. It went around the packhouse in circles and spun all the way around the forrest in sporadic trails. It was impossible.

Even as she traced it down to a pool of sent, it would disappear and pick up again in a total different direction. The kid was fucking with her. And Lynn knew it.

Once again she asked herself why she was even doing this. Maybe because she had hope, or possibly just because she wanted to be a good person. And not leave her soulmate to die.

Suddenly Lynn stopped, and picked up her nose, her brown fur ruffled from the breeze. Ember. She was close. The wolf took off kicking up dirt, her chest rising and falling with adrenaline and fear.

The trees thinned out, spreading their limbs to give way to a large clearing of wildflowers. The grass grew to her shoulders, letting her blend in. She crouched low to give herself more cover, inhaling to pin point exactly who she was trying to find. Rhage's scent was no where to be found, but under Ember's thick stench she couldnt know for sure if her mate was close.

Lynn stiffened and her eyes scanned the area, panic setting in. She could only see the green grass surrounding her. But she could hear popping and crackling, and the smell of fire grew. Risking exposing herself she stood, poking her head over the foliage. A few feet in front of her there was smoke rising, writhing seconds the feild was ablaze with tall flames. Lynn circled around to try and escape the fire, only to find the fire surrounded her in a perfect circle.

"I never said I couldn't stop you from finding her." Lynn spun around to see Ember, twirling a flower around. The young girl looked so casual among the growing fire. Lynn tried to back away, her ears pinned to her head, teeth bared. The more steps she took back the hotter the fire felt on her back. Shifting to her human form would be fruitless, leaving her exposed without teeth and claws to defend herself with. Ember seemed to know this and grinned, her face tinted orange with the light from the fire.

Ember was just a child Lynn reminded herself, it was a risk shed have to take. Shed get no answers by barking. She took a large breath in a let her human skin replace the wolves fur. Opening her eyes, she watched Ember from her position on the ground. The girl was just watching the flower, before it burst to flames and left nothing but ash in her hands.

Sweat beaded at Lynn's brow, there had always been something different about the girl. The smell of burnt flesh, disappearing in a moment's notice but, this? This was unheard of. Her younger felt heavy in her mouth. "What are you?" Lynn's mind was reeling, she hadn't even realised she had said the words outloud.

"You know, I've always been jealous of you dogs. Having someone in your head to keep you company." Ember rubbed the ashes between her fingers looking lost in thought. Lynn grimaced, she really did look like a child in that moment. Although the girl was a pain, and there was something incredibly disturbing about her, Lynn felt sorry for the girl. She had never outright hurt Lynn, had always been respectful when in her pack. She didnt cause trouble. They had bonded almost. If it werent for the fact that Ember was her enemy's child, and the whole trying to kill her mate thing. Lynn would never have done what she did.

"Father says I'm a product of the sun gods misery." Ember sighed, her red curls dancing in the breeze. The flames dulled down around them leaving glowing cinders in the fires wake. "Theres so much more to our history then you could ever know, so much going on behind the scenes. My mother was so close to figuring it all out, before she was killed for the greater good." Embers eyes met Lynn's for the first time, they were brimming with tears, her brows furrowed.

Lynn's stomach churned, her nails digging into her palms. "Come on kid, just tell me where she is, I dont want to fight you." Her voice was calm, but her thoughts were spiraling, like water down the drain. She coukdnt look at the girl without seeing a child, a child who needed help.

"My mother helped that bitch hide, she doesnt deserve to be saved. She made me what I am." Ember's voice was rising, the fire started to come back, growing with the girls temper.

Lynn was growing more and more confused the more the child spoke, "What are you talking about Ember?" None of this made sense, controlling fire? No creating it, out of thin air. That was impossible.

Ember just stood in front of her, Lynn studied her, trying to find answers. The girls clothes were covered in dust and soot. The child look defeated and sullen.

"My father lit the house on fire while my mother brought me into the world, to rid himself of the sins of our existence, unfortunately for him, I survived. The fire became my mother." A single flame danced on Ember's fingertip and she laughed, before pointing it at Lynn. "I have been cleansed by the flames, she needs me to cleanse her. Father needs me to burn away his pain, and she brings him pain." She was crying, and the fire was roaring with her emotions.

Lynn had heard enough, she might regret her actions in the future but right now, she was trapped. She had no choice. There were no words she could say. Nothing she could do.

Ember turned away from Lynn, just long enough for her to shift, she didnt want to do this she told herself. She had too. This wasnt right. In her wolf form, she tightened her muscles and sprang.

The girl was crying, Lynn's heart clenched, and she faltered. She had initially aimed for Ember's neck, she landed on her shoulder, blood filled her mouth. Ember fell to the ground as Lynn ripped through her flesh, her nails digging into the girls back. Lynn pulled her muzzle away and looked down at the girl, to see a smile on her face.

Horror filled Lynn and she froze. Ember burst into flames, it gripped onto Lynn's legs, burning her fur and scorching her flesh. She turned back into her human form, hissing in pain. Holding her ruined arms to her chest, rocking herself to ease the pain. Gritting her teeth she looked to where Ember had been, to find nothing but cinders. The fire had gone out around her, she stumbled to her feet.

She couldnt feel her fingers or move her arms, she was bent over in pain and struggled to move. Fear gripped her chest, Lynn had never seen or felt anything like it.

Worse, she still didnt know where her mate was, and Lynn just pissed off her captor.