iv.

"I survived because the fire inside me burned brighter than the fire around me

"I survived because the fire inside me burned brighter than the fire around me."
-unknown.

RHAGE'S MIND WAS A STORM. Angry, unpredictable. Her scrambled thoughts were waves crashing against her skull. Howls of the wind echoing off her brain until she realised that it was no storm it was a beast. Eclipse to be precise. It struggled against it's confinement, the chains that held the monster inside of Rhage. But what struck her was instead of rain pittering in her conscious it was tears, the howls of pain. The demon inside her cried out for her mate. And for the first time she sympathized with the beast.

Rhage's back rested on the large oak doors her nose still tickling with the scent of the one that was meant to love her forever. Instead the Alpha threatens to trade her in for who knows what. Weapons? Money? Revenge? What has she done to this stranger, this stranger who is her mate. HunterMoon's voice still rang fresh in her ears, Rhage felt as if the woman was imprinted into her existence.

She was in a way, Rhage sealed her fate the second she stared into her mate's jade eyes. Rhage could never love another, not that she loved the Alpha. Rhage looked up to see the Beta staring at her sympathetically from the opposite wall. Frustrated tears welled up, why did she long to run back into that room and be held in her mate's arms? Her face began scrunch and sobs escaped her body along with bitter laughter.

"Why would I believe that I could have a mate when I am what I am?" Rhage cried pitifully, throwing her head back a cold smile on her face.

"Child, you have a mate." The Beta consoled ignoring her confession.

"But she denies me, she will never be mine. Honestly after what I have done I do not deserve her, you should have seen my own sisters face!" Rhage whimpered. "Her mangled leg is my fault, my father, all those rogues, Bettie! All my fault and no one elses. I cannot keep blaming the beast in me, if only I was strong enough to control her." Rhage choked on her truth.

Rhage sniffed, her tears all dried out, "I should have never been born, the man was right. I will only bring evil, I am meant for darkness. I wonder if Seer is sick because of me," She was mumbling in a frantic crazed way, her mind scattered, not realizing she was speaking, "After all the darkness taints and absorbs the light, and she is the brightest of them all. She can see the future you know? Ironic name I've heard. Her healing is superb, she can make anyone smile. But I? I only can dwell on the past and kill. I am a murder, I thirst for blood. Like now," Rhage's glazed blue eyes gazed up to the Beta's throat. "Your pulse it beats so rapidly, blood rushing so fiercely... Do you know how sweet blood is? Oh is it sweet." Her words faded into a whisper.

"Amazing," Beta Kingston murmured. "The madness is already consuming you minutes after you mate resisted you... I wonder..."

"It's not because of her! I've been this way my entire existence, I was conceived before my father marked my mother. I am truly insane, evil even!" Rhage growled out her biggest fault, one no one could deny. She had just dug her own grave, possibly her mother's if she was still alive. Having a child before being marked is sin, the child is destined to be void of a soul and hence no mate to share it with. So why does the woman who shared her soul with Rhage deny her?

"Truly, truly, amazing. You are quite the specimen." The look in Beta Kingston's eyes suggested that he no longer saw Rhage a fellow were, instead a thing. That, in this world, was so normal to Rhage she was no longer shocked. What was shocking is that although he no longer saw her as a werewolf, a gleam in his eye proved he would not harm her.

Why? Why not put a end to her miserable existence? Rhage should have let herself die in that cave all those years ago.

Seer. Dammit. Seer Marie BloodMoon is her only responsibility.

She imagined what her father would say, Suck it up Rhage, you are my daughter and I will not have a weak offspring lead my pack.

That burning feeling evaporated from her body. She felt Eclipse settle in her mind. Rhage stood up calmly from her once crumpled position on the floor. She realized suddenly that her outburst was embarrassing and unnecessary. Breathing in, she cast her eyes to the floor.

"I apologize for my outburst, it was very unprofessional of me." Rhage apologized in a emotionless voice.

She needed to get herself in check, now. For Seer, more importantly for her father. Wiping her face of emotion, stiffening her spine and correcting her posture Rhage let go of her restraints over her power. It poured out of her body, her aura of dominance over powered every being in this mansion, but three. Her mate, Seer, and a unknown source.

Rhage closed her eyes and drew in a large breath. I am not going insane. I will be fine. Seer will be fine. Life will go on, it always does.

---------