Warnings

*Not Edited*

Warnings

On Sunday I woke up with the worst hangover of life. My head was pounding, I felt on the verge of vomiting and my body felt like I was run over by a herd of cows. I went on the hunt to find some pain relieving pills in the restroom and stumbled back into my room.

That's when I noticed the note that was on my dresser. It said that he had to wake up early to go to work and to text him when I woke up and left me his number. I smiled as I read the note and remembered last night. I was glad that I didn't black out and I remember everything that happened and everything I did. 

I crawled back into my bed and grabbed my phone to text him.

I'm up. 

How ufeelin.

Like shit.

Try to eat something greasy. They say that helps. Sometimes.

Ew no. I don't want to even think about food. I'm just going to sleep it off. 

I wish I was there to take care of you.

Me too. I could use a slave right about now.

I'll be whatever you want me to be, just take care of me.

Mr. Smooth

Get some rest. I'll check up on you later. 

K. Night!

I laid my phone next to my head on my pillow and fell asleep again. With the biggest smile on my face.

I pretty much slept all day Sunday, occasionally texting Yuca. So when it was time to get up for school on Monday, I was dragging my feet along. I still didn't feel great, but I did feel better. I was worried that my mom would come home and see me. She would know that I had a hangover, but she never came home. She would probably be there tonight when I get home. Maybe.

My morning classes were all the same. We didn't really do much work. Just sat around and talked with each other or some people were on their phones. The teachers didn't care what we did, as long as we didn't fight. How did they expect us to better ourselves if they didn't care? I guess since most of us didn't care about our future, then why should they. It sucked, but that was our reality. 

I was walking down the hall to the cafeteria for lunch. Sylvia and I didn't have classes together since I was a Sophomore and she was a Junior but we had the same lunch. I dropped by my locker to leave some books that I carried around just in case if the teacher were actually trying to teach that day when a hand closed my locker with a slam and I felt a body lean next to me. 

"What do you want James?" I asked angrily. He could have cut my hand off. That damn jerk.

"Word on the street is that you were getting cozy with some guy at Paco's party. That true?"

"That is none of your business." I glared at him.

"I bet you wouldn't say that to my brother." He smirked. I hated his smirk, his face, well, everything about him. He looked just like his brother, just a younger version.

"Yeah, I would because it's none of Renee's business either."

"But you know he won't like it when he finds out."

"And if he has a problem with it, he knows where to find me." I turned to walk away but he grabbed my arm.

The look on his face changed. It was no longer smirking. It looked more like pity. "Look, all I'm going to say is be careful. Renee is hooked up with some heavy shit right now." He sighed and ran his hand through his hair. "He has been unpredictable lately. So just watch your back." 

"Isabel." 

I turned the other direction and saw Sylvia a little way down the hallway. I smiled at her to let her know that everything was okay.

I turned back to James and he still had the sad look in his eyes. "I'm not hiding from Renee anymore, so he knows where to find me." and walked away towards Sylvia.

When we made it down the hallway and turned the corner towards the cafeteria, Sylvia pushed me into the restroom and locked the door.

"Spill." was all she said after she locked the door and checked the stalls to make sure we were alone.

"It was nothing. He was just telling me about some rumors he had heard."

"What rumors?"

"About Yuca at the party."

"How the hell did he hear about that?"

I shrugged my shoulders. 

"That's all he said to you?"

I sighed. I didn't really want to tell her, but I figured it was best that I did.

"He said to watch my back because supposedly Renee is hooked up with something bad and for me to be careful."

This time she sighed.

"Yeah, I heard about that too."

"What? Why didn't you say anything?"

"I didn't want to worry you and when I heard about it, I didn't know if it was rumors or if it was legit."

"Spill." I crossed my arms and raised my brow. Now it was her turn.

"Well, all I heard was that he's been trying to prove his loyalty to the Mafia." 

"WHAT?! When did he start messing with the people in the mafia?"

"That I don't know, but people are saying that he is having a hard time proving that he will be an asset to the gang."

"He's gonna kill me." I breathed out. I could feel myself start to shake and Sylvia ran to me to wrap her arms around me.

"No, he's not. You know how the Mafia feels about hurting girls, women and kids. They won't let him touch you."

"He will lie, make something up to make killing me be justified. You know he would do that. He hates me."

"He's not smart enough to pull that off and even if the Mafia doesn't stop him, you have a lot of people that would do anything to protect you. You know that right?"

"No, I don't want anyone to get involved. I can take care of myself. I would never forgive myself if anything happened to anyone I love because of him." I lifted my chin and stood my ground. I forced myself to be strong. I was no longer going to let him scare me anymore.

"It will never have to come to that." She said with total confidence. "Come on, let's get something to eat. I'm starving."  And just like that, Renee was forgotten.