Safe Haven

*Not Edited*

For everyone who has made it this far, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! You are more awesome than you will ever know!

Safe Haven

We walked into the living room and Yuca immediately called for his mother. I smacked him on the arm because I knew it was late already. How did he know she was still awake?

Their home was nice and neat. The living room was nicely decorated with large couches, there were paintings on the wall with certain little nick knacks everywhere on shelves. It wasn't big nor did the things look expensive but it felt cozy and it looked like a home. My house barely had anything in it besides the big furniture. My mom was never the type to decorate. Everything either got broken or was just never cleaned. Our walls were bare. Just like our relationship.

"I'm in the kitchen, Mijo." A woman called from a distance.

Yuca grabbed my hand and led me to where his mother was. I could feel my hands start to shake from nervousness. I've never had a real boyfriend before and I was already going to meet Yuca's mom? Would it be weird if I just ran out of the door now?

"Hey Ma." Yuca leaned and gave his mom a kiss on the cheek. He pulled on my hand jerking me forward, right in front of his mom. Jerk. "This is Isabel. Isabel this is my mom, Sonia."

"Nice to meet you." I smiled at her and reached out my hand to shake her's. She grabbed my hand and pulled me into a hug. I didn't expect her to do that so at first I hesitated, but as soon as my shock wore out I hugged her back. She rubbed my back soothingly and then let me go, but had me at arm's length. She studied my face and looked at me up and down. Her eyes bore into mine and I was shocked at what I saw. Understanding. She knew. I don't know how she knew, but she did.

"It's a pleasure to meet you too. Nito has never brought home a girl before." She winked at me.

"Nito?" I looked at Yuca. Who the hell was Nito?

"Long story, I'll tell you later." He whispered to me.

"Yeah, tell her later." She waved him off. "I heated up some food so you could eat. Come, Sit down." She pointed to the table and pushed me towards them.

"Thank you so much, but you really don't have to. I'm not that hungry." I replied. Then right on cue my stomach growled and loudly.

"Don't worry honey. You don't have to be shy." She laughed and turned her back to me. Sonia started taking out plates and cups. Well, I guess there was no stopping her now.

After I sat down, she prepared a plate of food for all of us. Which I was very grateful for. I didn't want to be the only one eating. Yuca and his mom chatted a little bit, while I devoured my food. She was a really good cook. Not only that, she seemed to be a good mom too. Her and Yuca seemed very close. They lightly teased one another or made fun of each other. It was clear that Yuca must have been a momma's boy. Which didn't bother me at all. I thought it was really cute how he treated his mom.

Sonia picked up all the plates and put them in the sink. She told Yuca to make sure his room was clean because she didn't want him to embarrass her with having a messy house. So he winked at me and said he would be right back.

I felt bad that she had cooked the food and now she was cleaning, so I got up and offered to help.

"Don't worry about it, I got it. Just talk to me while I wash the dishes. I would like that more."