Chapter eight, sick

——————
Rain POV, present day
——————

This morning I went to school early, something I've never done before. I really wanted to get this day over with, so I could get home to Payu.

I smile again, my grin so wide that even Sig noticed my cheeriness, and that's saying something, because Sig is usually oblivious to almost everything.

I drum my knuckles on the desk, waiting for the class to file in. It's 10 minutes before the start of our first lesson, and Sky is not there.

I don't think much of it though, because I'm too happy recalling what happened yesterday.

"Did you do your assignment?" Asks Sig, turning to look at me from his papers.

I don't hear him the first time, so he has to repeat himself.

I finally snap to reality, and answer weakly, "Yea, but I've got lots of geometry to do."

"Can I copy?" Sig asks

"I haven't finished my Design homework, I was busy yesterday cause I went-"

The door to the classroom opens, and Sky stumbles in, rubbing his eyes.

I know something is wrong right away, because of the look on his face. I've never seen my best friend so tired.

"Are you okay?" I ask, worried

He just nods, and plops down on his desk.

Stupid guy probably stayed up all night working.

I watch him as he silently fumbles with his papers, and then stands up to deposite them in the "Complete Projects" box.

Sky stands up with a huff, and I ask him again

"Are you sure you are okay?"

He mumbles "yea, just sleepy..."

But I see it's more than that. Something is wrong, so I stand up with him, grab the papers from his hands and put them in the box for him.

Thats when Sky falls unconscious.

I catch Sky at the last second, and Sig helps me pull him up. But Sky is dead still...

I am panicking right now, my heart going way faster than needed.

"Sky!" I say, "Sky! Wake up!"

He doesn't. I'm full on panic mode.

"Sig! Call the ambulance!"

——————
Time skip
——————

I'm sitting in the hospitals waiting room when the doctor comes toward me.

I raise my head, and ask hurriedly

"How is he?!"

"He's  fine," Answers the doctor slowly, and then adds "He fell unconscious due to the lack of sleep, anxiety, and stress." "Do you know what may be the cause of that?"

I think about what the doctor told me. I know Sky works a lot in order to stay great in everything, and takes a lot more electives than either me or Sig do, but I've never known him to be so tired to pass out before.

Then, I think about the anxiety and stress part, and here I'm genuinely confused. I don't know Sky having any drama in his life, but maybe I've been too blind to notice. For example the way he almost always rejects us when we call him to clubs, or how he scowls and acts sassy a lot. Is that something he does because of his anxiety?

"I'm not sure doctor," I say "The tiredness he experienced was due to him overworking, but as for stress and anxiety, I don't know."

The doctor nods.