Chapter Two

The next morning whispers filled the Keep, as everyone worried for the succession of the crown now that the Queen was dead

The next morning whispers filled the Keep, as everyone worried for the succession of the crown now that the Queen was dead. Rhaenyra had rushed to find Camilla and Alicent after the small council meeting, finding her two friends under the great oak tree. Camilla sat facing Alicent as the young Hightower girl posed for her friend's sketch. Alicent sat with her back against the tree, legs tucked under her and to the side , and looking to the side.

"How much longer will this take, Camilla?" Alicent asked, turning her head slightly to look at her friend. "Rhaenyra?" Alicent gasped, standing up upon seeing her Princess and friend.

"What is wrong?" Camilla asked, seeing the forlorn look on her cousin's face.

The Princess came to a stop beside her two closest friends. "Daemon has been exiled." The world froze around Camilla, as her sketchbook fell from her hand, landing softly in the grass at her feet.

Feet that had taken off, running through the halls of the Keep. Somewhere in her mind, Camilla knew Alicent would scold her for picking her dress up and exposing her lower legs. But at that moment Camilla did not care. There was no King's Guard posted outside his door, Camilla noticed as she threw the door open.

Empty. The room was empty.

...

Camilla sat in a chair in Rhaenyra's room, watching as Alicent laced Rhaenyra's dress. Camilla watched as the two girls embraced in front of the mirror.  Life had been dull for Camilla since Daemon left. Left without a word. Without saying goodbye. The Tully girl wished to be angry. She wished to be sad.

She wanted to feel anything, but instead she felt nothing as she watched lords of the Noble houses kneel before Rhaenyra and swear loyalty. Alicent beamed with pride from her seat beside Camilla. How Camilla wished she could smile at her cousin being crowned heir to the Iron Throne, but her face remained blank as it had since Daemon left.

Word had quickly spread that the Rogue Prince had taken up residence at Dragonstone with a whore from the streets of silk. And when Camilla had heard she had destroyed her room and laid on the floor surrounded by ripped books and broken vases as she cried. Her wails filled the halls of the Red Keep that night.

...

Alicent had taken to keeping Camilla company during the days following the Prince's exile. The young Lady Hightower worried for her closest friend. Camilla had become a shell of her past self, not even picking up a sketchbook or piece of charcoal. The sketch of Alicent lay unfinished in Camilla's quarters. The two girls laid beneath the great oak, Camilla lay with her head in Alicent's lap as the brunette read aloud.

"Do you think the King will send me back to Riverrun?" Camilla spoke for the first time in days, her voice croaky from the lack of use, interrupting the book Alicent had been reading aloud.

"Why would he do such a thing?" Alicent questioned, looking down to where her friend rested her head upon Alicent's lap.

"I was only allowed to stay in King's Landing by the grace of the Queen, my Aunt. Without her I fear the King may send me away."

"Rhaenyra would not allow that to happen, you know that."

"Rhaenyra has no power over her father, Alicent. Only the Queen could keep me here." Alicent grew silent at Camilla's words.

...

Camilla had never been inside the Small Council's meeting room and yet Alicent had asked her to accompany her to the meeting. When questioned why she was even attending Alicent merely said her father had asked her too. Both Alicent and Camilla stood behind the Hand of the King as they awaited the rest of the small council. Camilla couldn't help but watch as the king looked out the window, the older man seemed almost worried, if Camilla had to guess.

Voices filled the room as the Small council flooded in through the door, Rhaenyra following close behind though she looked confused upon seeing her two friends there.

"Good Morrow, my Lords." The king spoke, turning from the window and walking towards the table. "I have decided to take a new wife."

Silence filled the room as its inhabitants awaited their King's choice. Camilla looked to Alicent, why had she invited her here? Why did Alicent's father wish for her to attend?

Oh.

Understanding flooded Camilla as she took in Alicent's position. The young girl seemed almost guilty, she stood with her head bowed, tightly clasping her hands in front of herself. Wishing to bring her friend a small amount of comfort, Camilla reached over taking Alicent's hand in her own.

"I intend to marry," The King looked to where Alicent stood beside Camilla, and Rhaenyra's eyes followed. "The Lady Alicent Hightower before spring's end."

"Lord Corlys stood up from his seat at the foot of the table. "This is an absurdity. My house is Valyrian, the greatest power in the realm."

"And I am your King." The two men stared at each other, locked in a silent battle, before Lord Corlys stormed off.

The three friends stood on opposite sides of the table, Rhaenyra on one and Camilla and Alicent on the other. Unbeknownst to Camilla, lines were being drawn in the sand and sides were being picked.