Chapter Three

Camilla stood surrounded by members of the Noble families, at the Queen's side, holding the young prince in her arms and smiling down at the babe. In the three that had passed, Camilla had remained a loyal friend to Alicent. She had tried to do the same to her cousin, Rhaenyra, but the princess had been adamant in her attempts to avoid her two old friends. Brushing off any attempts to restore their friendship.

"He has your hair, Your Grace." One of the noblemen yelled out as everyone in the Great Hall laughed.

"He does have my hair," Viserys smiled down at his young son in Camilla's arms.

"He has your eyes, Your Grace," another nobleman called out.

"Yes, he does.

"Your grace," Tyland Lannister called, rushing to the King's side. "I bring urgent news from the stepstones. The Crabfeeded has dug in for siege on Bloodstone while his men sabotage our fleet under the cover of dark."

"Not today, Tyland" Viserys dismissed him.

"The matter of the stepstones is regrettably urgent." The Lanister man tried again.

"It's been three years, it can wait another three days." Viserys turned back to his wife with a small smile, before walking away to the table that the feast sat upon. "Come, eat. Fortify yourselves for the journey."

Members of the Noble houses followed their King's invitation, flooding the table in an attempt to gather food.

The Queen leaned closer to her close companion, whispering in the girl's ear. "Have you seen Rhaenyra?"

"I cannot say that I have, but if i had to guess I would say she is in the Godswood." Camilla answered. Noting the determined look in Alicent's eyes as the queen turned to the doors. Camilla quickly followed her friend.

...

As Camilla had predicted, the Queen and her found the princess sitting under the oak tree, reading a book upon walking into the Godswood. Coming to a stop in front of the tree, Camilla, still holding the young prince on her hip, began to switch her weight from one foot to the other. A Minstrel sat beside the Princess singing a song and playing his lute. The man quickly stood up to greet the Queen when he spotted them. "Your Grace, my lady."

"Did I say to stop?" Rhaenyra asked, ignoring Camilla, Aegon and Alicent's presence and continuing to read. "From the beginning."

Camilla watched as the man stuck between two royals sat back down and started playing again.

"Rhaenyra?" Alicent called, placing a hand over her swollen belly in an attempt to bring herself comfort.

"Yes my queen?" Rhaenyra replied, keeping her eyes on her book.

"Your presence is wanted in the outer courtyard," Alicent spoke, glancing at Camilla quickly before looking back to Rhaenyra. "The royal hunt is ready to depart."

"I've decided to remain here and read instead." Still the Princess did not look at them.

"You may go Samwell," Camilla took pity on the man, dismissing him. The minstrel jumped up at the Lady Tully's words.

"You are to stay by order of the princess."

"The queen commands you to leave the Godswood at once." As the minstrel rushed off, Alicent turned her attention back to Rhaenyra. "The king wishes for you to join us."

"The king has much to celebrate. He does not need me."

"Do not say that cousin, you are Heir, you must come." Camilla took a step forward, bouncing the young babe in her arms as she did so. "And besides, the King wishes for the family to be together."

"Yes, and perhaps the hunt could be fun." Alicent agreed with Camilla's words.

"Is it the Kings command?"

"Yes but it-"

"Then at once, your grace." Rhaenyra interrupted the Queen, finally standing up and turning to face the two other women.

"But it needn't be." Alicent begged, coming closer to the Princess. "None of it needs to be this way in truth Rhaenyra."

Rhaenyra merely brushed past the two women, ignoring her former friend's begging. Alicent crumpled at her friend's coldness.

"It is alright Alicent," Camilla stepped closer to her Queen and placed a comforting hand on her friend's shoulder. " One day she will realize you didn't want this and the three of us will be friends again. But in the meantime you still have me."

Alicent smiled at her only friend's kind words. "Thank you Camilla, you are a true friend."

...

"Well isn't this splendid." The King spoke, not noticing the tense atmosphere that filled the carriage. "The whole of our family off to celebration and adventure in the Kingswood.

Strangely Camilla found herself riding in the Royal Carriage that afternoon, sitting beside the princess on the opposite side of the carriage from the King and Queen. The carriage shook following the King's words as they drove over a hole in the road. Camilla couldn't help but look to Alicent, worry flooding her senses as the Queen winced in pain.

"Should you be traveling in such condition?" Rhaenyra asked, a hint of concern filling her voice.

"The Maester said that being out in nature would do me well."

"Because the Maester knows so much." Camilla muttered under her breath, before looking to where the King held his goblet of wine up to the young Prince's mouth. "Should he be drinking so young, Uncle?"

"You will be with your own child sooner than late, and make me a proud grandsire." Viserys looked to his daughter with pride before turning to his ward. "And you would do well to remember to not question how a father cares for his child."

"It's not so bad," Alicent spoke, smiling since Rhaenyra seemed to finally open up to speaking to her. "The days are long, but Aegon came quickly and without fuss." Rhaenyra once again turned from the conversation at the mention of her young brother.

"You should ride out with me today. Join in the chase."

"I'd rather not. Boars squeal like children when they're being slaughtered. I find it discomforting."

"Its a hunt Rhaenyra. How would you like to participate?"

"I'm not sure why I must."

"Because you are my daughter, the Princess, and you have duties."

"As I am ceaselessly reminded." Camilla shared an knowing look with a servant beside her at Rhaenyra's words, everyone in the carriage knew where the conversation was leading. Any hopes of a peaceful journey were squashed when the king asked Rhaenyra to repeat her words and she did.

"You wouldn't need to be reminded if you ever attended to them."

"No one's here for me."

The rest of the journey passed in an awkward silence until the royal carriage arrived on the hunting grounds. Cheering could be heard as the King and Queen exited the carriage, soon followed by a servant holding the young prince. Camilla stayed where she sat across from Rhaenyra.

"People would have been here for you if you let them, Cousin. Alicent and I have tried yet you push us away at every turn. Do you truly wish to be alone?" Camilla paused, hoping Rhaenyra would say something, anything. At her continued silence, Camilla stood up and exited the carriage, joining the crowd at Alicent's side.