Chapter Fifteen

King Viserys had happily welcomed his brother with open arms. Viserra, Vaegon, and Baelon were happy to see their cousins, the children growing closer as they trained and played together.

Baelon and Helaena were wed at the end of their first year living in the Red Keep. The two cousins got along well. Baelon indulged Helaena's fascination with insects, having rare insects collected throughout the realm and gifted to his bride.

Aegon and Viserra were wed the following year. The night before the wedding Daemon entered his nephew's chambers and held Dark Sister to the boy's throat. threatening Aegon with death should his daughter ever be unhappy.

Camilla and Alicent were happy to be reunited, many spoke of how a new air had been breathed into the Queen. The woman was seen smiling around the Keep and walking with her friend through the gardens.

Daemon was happy to be reunited with his brother. Viserys instantly welcomed him to his Small Council, Naming his brother Hand and demoting Ser Otto to Master of Laws. Though slighted, Ser Otto knew with a slight manipulation of Camilla Daemon would happily join the Green's fold.

All was peaceful until Rhaenyra arrived with her children in tow to fight for her son's birthright.

...

Chatter filled the Great Hall as Daemon sat on the Iron Throne, Camilla and Alicent stood below the throne surrounded by their children . The chatter that once filled the room silenced as Daemon began to speak, Camilla couldn't help but feel awe at the way her husband commanded the room.

"Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds, we gather here with the grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark. As Hand I shall speak for the King. The Crown will now hear the petitions. Ser Vaemond of House Velaryon, Please begin."

At Daemon's words, Ser Vaemond stepped forward. "My Queen. My Prince Hand. The History of our noble house extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria. For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas. When the doom fell on Old Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind. Our forebearers came to this new land,knowing that were they to fail it would mean the end of their bloodlines and their name. I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my brother's seat. I am Lord Corlys' closest kin, his own blood. The true unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins."

"As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon. If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to help to supplant its rightful heir. No you only-"

"You will have a chance to speak your peace, Princess Rhaenyra. Now is Ser Vaemond's time." Camilla spoke, her voice carrying across the great hall. Daemon smiled down at his wife, motioning for Ser Vaemond to continue.

"What do you know of Velaryon blood, Princess? I could cut my veins and show it to you and you still wouldn't recognize it. This is about the future and survival of my house, not yours." Turning from the Princess, Ser Vaemond addressed those at the front of the room again. "My Queen, my Prince Hand. This is a matter of blood, not ambition. I place the continuation of the survival of my house and my line above all. I humbly put myself forward as my brother's successor, the Lord of Driftmark, the Lord of the Tides."

"Thank you Ser Vaemond." Daemon nodded to the man, as he stepped back in line with his family. "Princess Rhaenyra, you may now speak for your son Lucerys Velaryon."

Rhaenyra stepped forward, into the middle of the room. "If I am to grace this farce with some answer, I will start by reminding this court that nearly twenty years ago, in this very hall I married Laenor Velaryon. From our marriage came three sons, to deny them their birthright is absurd. My sons have both Targaryen and Velaryon blood coursing through their veins, that I know."

"Thank you Princess Rhaenyra." Daemon spoke, barely looking at his niece.

"Taking both accounts in mind, I have made my decision. By the power of the King I hereby affirm Ser Vemond of House Velaryon as heir to Driftmark, the Driftwood Throne and the next Lord of the Tides."

"You would refuse my son's birthright?" Rhaenyra questioned angrily.

"It is done, Cousin." Camilla spoke. "Do not embarrass your family by causing a scene."

"Do not speak, Camilla. Your own mother could not stand to look at you. She sent you to the Keep and I welcomed you with open arms. Do not forget this, Cousin." Rhaenyra seethed.

"I will not have you speak to my wife in such a way." Daemon warned.

"Do you forget who you first wished to marry, Uncle? Rid yourself of this mistake and join me on Dragonstone."

Daemon shot from his seat and roared. "My wife is no mistake!"

"Is she not? You took me to the brothel that night, not her. Marry me and you would have the throne, Uncle. Rid yourself of your whore."

Anger rolled off of Daemon in waves as he unsheathed his sword. Dark Sister gleamed in the light as Daemon glared at his niece. Camilla stepped forward, calling Daemon's name. When her husband finally looked her way, Camilla motioned for him to sheathe his sword.

"Put away Dark Sister, Husband. Rhaenyra is merely jealous, I take no offense to what she has said."

Processing his wife's words, Daemon sheathed his sword and stepped down from the throne. Daemon took Camilla into his arms, pressing a passionate kiss to her lips.