Chapter Thirteen

Sand shifted beneath Camilla's feet as she walked alongside Alicent. The sound of waves crashing against the shore drowning out the two women's voices from being over heard.

"Her children are clearly bastards yet the King refuses to see it."

"I am sorry you have been alone, I wish Daemon and I had been allowed to stay at the Keep." Camilla grabbed her friend's hand, causing Alicent to stop and look at her. "If only things were different."

"If only." Alicent agreed quietly, tears welling up in her eyes at the earth she felt at being reunited with her dearest friend. "Would you come back? If Viserys allowed it."

"I do not know if I could stand being so near Rhaenyra again."

Alicent merely hummed in response as the two continued to walk along the beach. A comfortable silence passed between the two friends, both finally feeling a sense of peace at being together again.

"I wished to speak to you on a serious matter." Alicent spoke, coming to a stop yet again.

"Is something wrong?"

"No, no nothing is wrong. I wanted to propose a union between your eldest, Baelon, and my daughter, Helaena, as well as your daughter, Viserra and Aegon."

"What are you planning, Alicent?"

The Queen looked around the beach making sure her sworn protector was far enough away before she stepped closer to Camilla and whispered, "Aegon is Viserys' firstborn son, Camilla. It is his birthright to sit the throne and wear the conqueror's crown."

"This is treason, Alicent. Rhaenyra was named heir."

"Rhaenyra is not a man, the lords of the Seven Kingdoms will not bow to a Queen." Alicent grabbed Camilla's wrist, her fingernails digging into the delicate flesh. The Queen's brown eyes pierced into Camilla's violet ones as she tried to get her point across.

No words were spoken as the two friends stared into each other's eyes.

Camilla sighed as she turned away, looking out towards the sea. "I will speak to Daemon about the betrothals."

"Swear to me you will not betray me," Alicent whispered.

Camilla turned back to face her friend, lifting her hand up she cupped Alicent's cheek in her calloused hand. The Queen leaned into her friend's touch, it was the first kind touch she could remember experiencing in the past decade.

"I will not betray you, Alicent. I swear."

...

Camilla and Alicent had walked back to the castle reminiscing over the days of their youth. Upon reaching the castle the two women had bid each other goodbye and made their way to their quarters for the night.