Chapter Twelve

Steel met steel as Daemon and Camilla danced around each other. Swords meeting whenever the other made a move, neither able to gain the upper hand. Teacher and student were now equals. A call from the couple's eldest son stopped the sound of steel clashing against steel as the two parents turned to face their child.

"What is it, Baelon?" Camilla huffed out, strands of hair falling out of her braid and into her face.

"Get on with it, son. I was just about to gain the upper hand." Daemon spoke, wiping off dark sister with a cloth a servant had handed him.

"Oh were you?" Camilla turned to face her husband with a glare.

"Yes I was."

"Mother. Father." Baelon interrupted the argument that was about to begin and holding out a small roll of parchment. "A Raven came from Lord Clifford."

Camilla rolled her eyes at the mention of her elder brother, taking the letter from her son's outstretched hand. Reading over the words quickly, Camilla looked up to her son and husband. "Where are your brother and sister, Baelon?"

"With the Septa."

"Go get them and have them pack enough clothes for two days." At his mother's words Baelon turned to go find his siblings.

Rough fingers brushed her hair off her shoulder as Daemon leaned his forehead into his wife's neck, his arms wrapping around her waist.

"Where are we going, my shadow?"

"To a funeral, sunshine."

...

The sound of waves crashing against the rocks below filled the air, mixing with Ser Vaemond Velaryon's speech. A stone coffin holding the body of Lady Laena Velaryon, Camilla's sister in law, sat on the edge of a cliff as men wrapped robes around it.

High Valaryian flowed in one ear and out the other, Camilla barely translating the words into her first language as Ser Vaemond carried on. Camilla was too busy looking between Alicent and Rhaenyra, watching as Rhaenyra stole glances at the unaware Queen. Camilla wondered what had transpired while she had been gone.

A giggle to her left caused Camilla to lose her train of thought as she looked to where her husband stood beside her. Vaegon's sweet laughter joined his father, the young boy hoping to be just like his old man. Viserra and Baelon looked confused at the two's laughter before glancing at their mother. A frown spread across Camilla's face as she realized what her husband was doing and who he was protecting.

"My gentle niece," Ser Vaemond continued as the ropes wer pulled causing Laena's coffin to slide closer to the edge. "May the winds be as strong as your back, your seas as calm as your spirit, and your nets be as full as your heart. From the sea we came. To the sea we shall return."

A loud splash filled the air as Laena's coffin tumbled over the edge and into the water.

...

After the funeral, the guests were invited to socialize on a balcony jutting out of the cliffside. Camilla stood beside her husband as he leaned against the railing, watching as dragons flew overhead. Daemon kept glancing at his wife from the corner of his eye, knowing he had upset her with his actions during the funeral hours ago. The Prince was growing impatient waiting for his wife to speak. How he wished to hear her voice, even if it was just to yell at him.

"Rhaenyra is looking at us." Camilla finally spoke, causing Daemon to follow her line of sight. True to what she had said, Rhaenyra was staring at them. Though Daemon barely looked at his niece before his attention was back on his wife. "Shall I leave you two to talk? I am sure you have much to catch up on."

"Camilla," Daemon growled, causing Camilla to look at him. "Don't start this.

"Would you not marry her if given the chance?" Camilla asked, staring into Daemon's lilac eyes.

"No." Camilla merely hummed at Daemon's answer. "Would you wish to marry another?

Camilla turned to stare out at the ocean, pausing for a moment before speaking. "I could never."

"Why not? I am not a good man." Daemon spoke, pulling his wife into his arms so her head rested under his chin.

"While that is true," Camilla pulled away from Daemon's chest, turning to look into his eyes. She brought a hand up to cup his face, a smile spreading on her lips. "You are a good husband and father. Besides I have been loyal to you since I was young, I would hate to think those years had been a waste."

Pulling Daemon down so she could press a soft kiss to his lips, Camilla's eyes fluttered closed at the sweet feeling of Daemon's lips against her own. The couple were lost in each other when a cough broke through causing them to pull apart.

King Viserys, Daemon's brother stood before the couple, an awkward smile on his aged face.

"It is good to know that I made the right decision when I had you too wed. You have had beautiful children," The King spoke, nodding over to where Camilla and Daemon's children stood with the Princes and Princess. "Camilla, I believe Alicent wished to speak to you."

Realizing she was being dismissed, Camilla nodded to each of the brothers before taking her leave. Maneuvering her way through the crowd Camilla found Alicent standing beside Ser Criston in front of the pavilion.

"My Queen," Camilla smiled, greeting her old friend with a smile. Upon seeing her Alicent pulled Camilla into a hug, tears budding in her eyes. "I have missed you, Alicent"

"I have missed you more, Camilla." The Queen said, before whispering. "I wish to speak to you privately, I must tell you everything."

"Let us walk along the beach then." Camilla answered, allowing Alicent to usher her through the crowd.

AN: Sorry for the long wait I got busy with work and school. You wouldn't believe how much being beat up by four year olds takes out of you.

-ELE